Fed up of your usual chicken dinners? I have the perfect one-pan recipe for you! My Creamy Tomato & Spinach Chicken Breasts is a quick and easy to cook version of Tuscan chicken. It packs a real flavor punch that I guarantee the whole family will love! It's gluten free and lower carb too.
The key to achieving that all important juicy chicken is to split the chicken breasts in half before cooking them. That way you don't risk them drying out.
Then the creamy sauce is balanced out with tangy sun dried tomatoes and plenty of fresh veggies. And it's all ready in under 30 minutes.
We love a creamy one pot dinner at The Family Food Kitchen. Indulgent but easy is the name of the game and this Italian style chicken dish is seriously more-ish.
Why You Should Make Creamy Tomato Spinach Chicken Breasts:
- Tomato Spinach Chicken Breasts are ready in 30 minutes! Fast enough for the busiest of weeknights.
- This fresh and colorful 30 minute meal is also pretty enough to serve to guests. And it's so easy you won't have to spend all your time in the kitchen when you have friends round.
- My creamy Tuscan chicken dish is gluten free so ideal for Coeliacs or anyone following a gluten free diet.
- Serve with a green salad or zucchini noodles for a great lower carb option. For another Italian inspired low carb meal try my Creamy Parmesan Shrimps with Peppers & Spinach.
How to Make Creamy Tuscan Chicken:
Find a full printable recipe with measurements below.
Slice the chicken breasts in two then sear in olive oil until golden and cooked through. Keep warm while you make the sauce.
Deglaze the pan with wine, then add the garlic, chicken stock, sundried tomatoes and cherry tomatoes and simmer until the cherry tomatoes start to burst.
Stir in the heavy cream and grated Parmesan cheese and allow it to melt into the sauce. Stir through the spinach until it just wilts.
Place the chicken pieces back into the sauce to reheat then serve immediately.
How to Slice the Chicken Breasts
- My top tip for tender and juicy chicken here is to carefully slice the chicken breast through the middle before pan frying. This is because thinner meat will cook quicker and is less likely to dry out.
- Place the chicken breast onto a chopping board. Carefully place your knife at the thick end of the breast and start to gently cut through the breast from the thick end to the thin end.
- Take your time so that you cut the breast evenly. Use your spare hand to gently hold the top of the chicken breast as this will stop it moving around too much, making it easier to cut.
Can I use Chicken Thighs?
You can substitute chicken breasts for chicken thighs. Use either bone-in or bone-less chicken thighs, whichever you prefer.
Just ensure that you adjust cooking times depending on what cut of chicken you are using. The chicken should be golden brown on the outside, but with an internal temperature of 165ºF to ensure it is cooked through.
Variations of Creamy Tuscan Chicken:
- Chicken breast is traditionally used here but you can also chicken thighs, just adjust the cooking times.
- Don't have or don't like sundried tomatoes? No problem just leave them out.
- Heavy cream can be replaced with whipping cream for a slightly lighter consistency to the sauce.
- Add a spoon of dijon mustard to add extra depth of flavor to the sauce.
- Parmesan cheese can be substituted with Grana Padano or Pecorino Romano - both are great tasting hard Italian cheeses.
- Don't have fresh spinach? You can substitue it with a couple of handfuls of frozen spinach. Just add it along with the tomatoes to cook down into the sauce.
- You can stir through some chopped basil to add a burst of freshness just before serving.
Tips For Making Creamy Tomato Spinach Chicken Breasts:
- Always take time to season the chicken well with sea salt and black pepper. Seasoning the chicken like this before you start cooking really makes a difference to the taste of the dish.
- Heat the pan to medium/high and sear the chicken for for 4-5 minutes each side. This is just long enough for the chicken to cook through (internal temperature 165ºF). Any longer and the chicken will dry out.
- Its really important to de-glaze the pan with the wine, scraping up any bits left over from cooking the chicken and adding all this flavor into the sauce.
What to Serve with Creamy Tomato Spinach Chicken Breasts?
This rich and creamy sauce tastes wonderful with pasta, but you can also serve it with rice, potatoes or quinoa.
Keep it light with a dressed green salad and some crusty bread to mop up the sauce.
For a great low carb option serve with some healthy zucchini noodles to balance out the rich and creamy sauce. Zoodles are a great way of adding extra vegetables into your daily diet, whilst keeping carbs down. Like this idea? Try my Garlic Lemon Shrimp with Zucchini Noodles.
How To Reheat Tuscan Chicken?
This quick and easy chicken dish can be made in advance and heated up at a later date. Simply cool the chicken down and place in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
When ready to serve remove the chicken from the fridge 30 minutes before you want to cook and allow to come to room temperature.
Gently place the creamy Tuscan chicken into a skillet and heat up gently over a medium heat. If the sauce looks a little thick you can add a little chicken stock of water to loosen it up.
Heat until piping hot all the way through.
How to Freeze Tomato Spinach Chicken Breasts?
This dish is easy to freeze. Cook the whole recipe but leave out the spinach as this is best added fresh when reheating.
Simply allow to cool before placing into an airtight container and popping into the freezer. It will store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When ready to enjoy, remove from the freezer and defrost thoroughly before heating up gently in a skillet over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes until warmed through.
Add little chicken stock or water to loosen up the sauce if necessary and stir through the fresh spinach to wilt just before serving.
Pin This Creamy Skillet Tomato Spinach Chicken Breasts Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
I'd love to know what you think about this recipe! I'd be so grateful if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a star rating and comment.
More Easy Weeknight Dinners
Creamy Skillet Tomato Spinach Chicken Breasts
- 4 Chicken Breasts - skinless
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- ½ cup White Wine
- 2 cloves Garlic - minced
- ½ cup Sundried Tomatoes - cut into small pieces
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- ½ cup Heavy Cream (Double Cream)
- ½ cup Grated Parmesan
- 4 cups Baby Spinach
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Slice through the middle of each chicken breast to make 2 thinner pieces and season generously with sea salt and black pepper.
- Pan fry in olive oil over a medium high heat in a large skillet for around 4-5 minutes per side. Cook until there is a nice golden brown sear on both sides, the chicken is cooked through to the middle and the juices run clear.
- Set the chicken aside on a plate and cover with foil while you make the sauce.
- Add the wine to the same skillet without cleaning it and scrape up all the bits from the chicken. Let the wine bubble away for a couple of minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, chicken stock, chopped sundried tomatoes and cherry tomatoes then allow to simmer on a low heat to let the flavors come together for 2-3 minutes. Simmer until the cherry tomatoes start to burst.
- Stir in the heavy cream and the grated parmesan cheese. Mix gently until it has melted into the sauce.
- Finally stir through the baby spinach until it has just wilted.
- Place the chicken pieces back in the sauce to gently reheat for a moment or two.
- Serve immediately