Fully loaded Double Chocolate Banana bread can be yours in no time with this simple recipe. Not only that - it's refined sugar and gluten free. The smell of this wafting from your oven will improve your day no end. And and also make you seriously popular with whoever gets to share it.
The banana bread love which started during the Corona Virus lockdown is still going strong across the land. I'm not sure why I've never made chocolate banana bread before - it seems like a massive oversight!
This recipe is refined sugar free and uses dark chocolate - so rest assured you can still feel good about yourselves if you bake it.
There are no complex recipes in The Family Food Kitchen. So of course this chocolate banana bread is super easy for even non bakers to make.
Simply fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and place in the oven to bake.
Why You Should Make This Double Chocolate Banana Bread?
- The classic flavor combination of chocolate and banana really elevates this double chocolate banana bread. It's topped with a half banana and more chocolate chips for that drool worthy instagram presentation too.
- This gluten free chocolate banana bread is a great tasting, moist recipe and ideal for Coeliacs or anyone following a gluten free diet.
- Using the natural sweetness of bananas combined with maple syrup, this refined sugar free chocolate banana bread is a healthier option.
- This banana bread freezes brilliantly. So you can enjoy half now and put the other half in the freezer to enjoy another day.
- A great make ahead bake, this banana bread stores in an airtight container for 4-5 days. For another great tasting chocolate dessert try my easy 4 ingredient Chocolate Orange Pots
What is the Difference Between Banana Cake & Banana Bread?
A banana cake has a lighter texture and is similar to a regular butter cake with added banana stirred through the batter.
Banana bread contains more actual banana and is more dense in texture than banana cake. It can be sliced like a bread and even toasted if you like and spread with a little butter.
How to Make Double Chocolate Banana Bread?
Find a full printable recipe with measurements below.
Make sure to line and grease the loaf pan. The easiest way to do this is with a long rectangle strip of paper which overhangs the pan at each end. This lets you easily lift the bread out of the pan when it's baked.
Mix together the wet ingredients: oil, mashed bananas, maple syrup, milk and eggs.
Mix together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl: flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients then fold through the chocolate chips.
Spoon into a loaf pan, scatter with more chocolate chips and finally add the remaining half banana onto the top and lightly press down.
Bake until a skewer comes out clean then turn out onto a rack to cool completely before slicing and serving.
Is Chocolate and Banana a Good Combination?
Chocolate and banana is a winning flavor combination and one you see used a lot in baked goods.
My recipe uses both cocoa powder and dark chocolate chips. The dark bitter chocolate really balances out the sweetness of the ripe sweet bananas.
Do I Need to Use Gluten Free Flour?
This gluten free chocolate banana bread is ideal for anyone following a gluten free diet and shows just how easy it is to make a great tasting loaf, without the need for regular flour.
However, you can easily substitute the gluten free flour for regular all-purpose flour if you would prefer.
What is Refined Sugar?
Refined sugar is a highly processed sugar. The sugar is extracted from sugar cane, sugar beets or corn. White caster sugar, granulated sugar, glucose and corn syrup are the most common forms of refined sugar.
So, what can you replace refined sugar with? I have used maple syrup in this refined sugar free chocolate banana bread, but you could also use honey, agave syrup or coconut sugar.
Variations of Double Chocolate Banana Bread:
- Maple syrup adds a lovely sweetness to this refined sugar free chocolate banana bread. If you don't have maple syrup then substitute with a runny honey or some coconut sugar instead.
- Don't have coconut oil? You can substitute it with either sunflower oil, grapeseed oil, olive oil (not extra-virgin as it's too strong flavored) or similar low flavor oil.
- For a banana loaf without the chocolate flavor, why not try my delicious Chocolate Chip Banana Loaf.
Tips For Making Double Chocolate Banana Bread:
- Always use over-ripe bananas. The darker the banana skin the sweeter the banana and the better the banana loaf.
- The easiest way to mash bananas for banana bread? With clean hands. Wash your hands and smush them between your fingers into a bowl.
- Don't have a loaf tin? Don't worry, you can use a 9x9 inch square cake tin instead.
- Keep an eye on the bread and if it starts to look too dark, loosely tent the pan with greased aluminum foil to protect the cake.
How To Serve Chocolate Banana Bread?
I can't resist the smell of this bread baking and love to eat my double chocolate banana bread warm straight from the oven.
It has so much flavor packed into it that I like to serve it just as it is. Sliced with a cup of your favorite coffee or tea. You can also spread on a little butter if you like.
If you want to go all out - warm it up a little in the microwave or toaster and spoon on a scoop of vanilla ice-cream for a deliciously sweet dessert.
How to Freeze Banana Bread?
Double chocolate banana bread is really easy to freeze. Simply allow it to cool completely then wrap in some aluminum foil and place in either a bag or airtight container and put it into the freezer.
It can be stored in the freezer for months, but is at it's best eaten by 4 months.
Did you know that you can also freeze over-ripe bananas in the freezer? Take them out of the fruit bowl and pop them into the freezer for up to 6 months. Then you'll be ready to bake in this banana bread any time you like.
Pin This Double Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
I'd love to know what you think about this recipe! I'd be so grateful if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a star rating and comment.
More Easy Sweet Recipe Ideas
Double Chocolate Banana Bread (Refined Sugar & Gluten Free)
- 3 Ripe Bananas - mashed except one half for the garnish
- ⅓ cup Coconut Oil - melted and cooled slightly
- ⅓ cup Maple Syrup
- ¼ cup Milk - any kind is fine
- 3 Eggs - beaten
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour (Plain Flour) - gluten free
- ½ cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ⅛ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 cup Semisweet (Dark) Chocolate - chopped or chips - I used 70% cocoa solid chocolate
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F/160°C
- Line a loaf pan with a long strip of parchment paper and grease it well.
- Mix the oil, mashed bananas, maple syrup, milk, and eggs together in a mixing bowl.
- In separate bowl mix together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until fully combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips or chunks, leaving a handful for the top.
- Spoon the batter into the greased loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Scatter over the remaining chocolate and gently add the remaining banana half carefully to the top of the cake. Push down slightly so it is level with the batter.
- Bake the loaf for around 60-70 mins until a cake tester or skewer comes out clean.
- Watch the top! If it starts looking too dark, loosely tent the pan with greased aluminum foil to protect the cake.
- Once out of the oven, let it cool in the pan for around 5 minutes then carefully loosen with a palette knife and turn out onto a rack to cool.
- Slice carefully and serve.
This recipe has been shared with the #CookBlogShare community hosted this week by Choclette at Tin and Thyme.