Air Fryer Delicata Squash is such a great side dish for the winter months! Air frying really brings out the natural sweetness and creamy texture of this lovely vegetable - and the best part is you don't even have to peel it! Cooking time is just 15 minutes with this easy recipe.
If you haven't tried delicata squash you must! It is a fairly small squash, and the skin is edible and adds great texture as well as lots of healthy fiber to the dish.
For ease, I've chosen to cook this simple roasted delicata squash recipe in my air fryer. However, for those of you who don't have an air fryer, oven baking instructions are also included within the post.
Why You'll Love This Delicata Squash Recipe
- This easy side dish is made with only 2 ingredients and a little seasoning.
- There's no need to peel a delicata squash which makes preparation time minimal.
- Naturally sweet, roasted squash is an easy side dish the whole family will enjoy.
- Easy to cook in the air fryer, making this the perfect side dish for serving at Sunday lunch, Thanksgiving or Christmas lunch.
- The charring from the air fryer adds an extra layer of flavor to the squash.
- Try some of my other favourite easy vegetable side dishes:
Air Fryer Delicata Squash Ingredients
Find the full list and quantities in the recipe card below.
Squash - I've used delicata squash as it's my favorite squash. Not only does it taste great but the skin is edible so there is no need to peel first. You can replace delicata squash with any variety of squash or pumpkin Butternut or acorn squashes would be great alternatives.
Olive Oil - I recommend using extra virgin olive oil as it has the best flavor. Regular olive oil or any other light oil will work too.
Seasonings - I keep the seasoning simple with some sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is delicata squash?
My favorite variety of winter squash is delicata squash, which is oblong shaped with pale yellow skin and green stripes running down it. It is also called peanut squash (because of the shape), bohemian squash, or sometimes sweet potato squash.
What does delicata squash taste like?
The orange flesh of Delicata squash has a lovely sweet flavor and smooth, creamy texture, somewhere between a butternut squash and a sweet potato.
Can you eat the skin on delicata squash?
Yes, the skin of delicata squash is thinner than most varieties of squash. It's entirely edible so you don't have to peel it first. Instead I like to keep the skin on to add texture and extra fiber to this healthy side dish.
How to Air Fry Delicata Squash - Step-By-Step
Find the full printable recipe below.
Preheat the air fryer at 400°f/200°c.
Carefully halve the Delicata Squash on a cutting board with a sharp knife. Scoop out the seeds. Then, with the cut side down, slice the squash into ½ inch half moon slices. Try to make them similar sizes for even cooking.
In a large bowl toss the squash half rings with the olive oil and generous sprinkles of salt and pepper in a large bowl until it's evenly coated.
Place the squash slices in the basket of your air fryer in a single layer with a little space around them so they roast and don't steam. Work in batches if necessary.
Cook for 12-15 minutes or until tender and golden brown at the edges.
How to Oven Roast Delicata Squash
Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C. Prepare the squash as before.
Once the squash is sliced and seasoned, place in a single layer on a parchment or foil lined sheet pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, turning halfway.
Variations & Substitutions for Easy Air Fryer Delicata Squash
- Swap the delicata squash for acorn or air fryer butternut squash. Sweet potato would also be a great alternative.
- This method can also be used for other veggies like parsnips, carrots, beets, turnip or rutabaga (swede).
- Add extra sweetness by drizzling some honey or maple syrup over the squash 5 minutes before the end of the cook.
- I've seasoned the squash with salt and pepper, but add other spices like cumin seeds, fennel seeds, anise, cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Sprinkle some red pepper flakes over the squash to add some chili heat.
- Parmesan cheese is also delicious for extra umami savory flavor.
- Add some fresh herbs like garlic, thyme or rosemary to the squash.
Tips & Tricks For Making Roasted Delicata Squash
Always preheat the air fryer and get it to the right temperature before you start cooking.
Air fryer temperatures vary from model to model, so keep an eye on the squash and adjust the cook time if necessary.
Spread the squash out in a single layer in the air fryer basket, this will ensure the squash roasts. If the squash is crowded in the basket it will steam and go soggy rather than roast.
Similarly try to slice the squash so all your pieces are the same thickness so they cook evenly.
Don't skip on seasoning the squash, Proper seasoning will make all the difference to the finished dish.
Remember this simple recipe is perfect as a holiday side and frees up space in the main oven!
How To Serve Air Fryer Delicata Squash
Roasted delicata squash is a great addition to any main dish. The perfect side for roast meats, this is also a great Thanksgiving or Christmas side alongside your roast turkey, goose, or Christmas Roast Chicken. Serve the squash with a selection of vegetable sides and those all important Roast Potatoes.
Leftover delicata squash can be added cold this this delicious Delicata Squash Salad.
How To Reheat Roasted Squash?
This delicious side dish is best served hot, straight from the oven. However, if refrigerated in an airtight container, leftover delicata squash can be easily reheated in the air fryer (or oven) to warm through.
You may need to add a little extra olive oil to stop the squash from drying out.
Pin This Air Fryer Delicata Squash Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
I'd love to know what you think about this recipe! I'd be so grateful if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a star rating and comment.
More Easy Side Dish Recipe Ideas
Air Fryer Delicata Squash
- 1 large Delicata Squash
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Preheat the air fryer at 400°f/200°c.
- Carefully halve the Delicata Squash on a cutting board with a sharp knife. Scoop out the seeds.
- With the cut side down, slice the squash into ½ inch half moon slices. Try to make them similar sizes for even cooking.
- In a large bowl toss the squash slices with the olive oil and generous sprinkles of salt and pepper until it's evenly coated.
- Place the squash slices in the air fryer basket in a single layer with a little space around them so they roast and don't steam. Work in batches if necessary.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes or until tender and golden brown at the edges.
To Oven Roast
- Preheat the oven to 400°f/200°c.
- Once the squash is sliced and seasoned, place in a single layer on a parchment or foil lined sheet pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, turning halfway.