It's pretty hard to improve upon the perfection that is roast cauliflower. Unless you add shredded cheese and tangy crème fraiche in this cheats Gluten Free Cauliflower Cheese, which can be on your table in around forty minutes.
Traditional cauliflower cheese with sauce is a family favorite in our house. But with my version there’s no need to make a time consuming béchamel cheese sauce, which can feel a bit heavy these days.
The lack of flour based creamy sauce means my gluten-free cauliflower cheese recipe is ideal for celiacs or anyone following a gluten-free diet.
If you're looking for a super simple, modern take give this cheats cauliflower cheese a go. Just make sure you save the all the crispy cheesy best bits from the bottom of the baking tray for yourself (cooks perks).
- Why You'll Love This Gluten Free Cauliflower Cheese Casserole
- Sheet Pan Cauliflower Cheese Ingredients
- How to Make My Cauliflower Cheese - Step-By-Step
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Variations & Substitutions for Cauliflower Cheese
- Tips & Tricks For Making Gluten Free Cauliflower Cheese
- Pin This Gluten Free Cauliflower Cheese Recipe For Later
- What Do You Think?!
- More Easy Side Dish Recipe Ideas
- Printable Recipe
- Gluten Free Cauliflower Cheese
- Reader Comments & Ratings
Why You'll Love This Gluten Free Cauliflower Cheese Casserole
- This is the easiest cauliflower cheese recipe ever as there's no need to make a separate sauce and the oven does all the hard work.
- I find that adding cheese to any vegetable side dish guarantees that the kids will eat it and mine love cheesy roasted cauliflower.
- This cheesy cauliflower dish is perfect for anyone following a keto diet.
- It's great for anyone wanting a filling lower carb side too.
- For other quick and tasty veggie side dishes the whole family will enjoy try my Easy Buttered Kale, Easy Corn Ribs, Roasted Shishito Peppers, Roasted Asparagus & Carrots or my Kitchenaid Mashed Potatoes.
Sheet Pan Cauliflower Cheese Ingredients
Find the full list and quantities in the recipe below.
Cauliflower - I cut a whole cauliflower into steaks. There is no need to discard the small leaves, they can roast with the small florets which inevitably fall off while you're cutting!
Crème Fraiche - I use full fat crème fraiche, but you can use light crème fraiche too, just be aware that it doesn't have the same consistency and may spread out in the oven.
Cheese - I've made the recipe using a combination of sharp cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese but you can use any variety of shredded cheese. Mild cheddar cheese is fine if you prefer. You could also switch it out for a vegan cheddar alternative.
Herbs - I like to add a few sprigs of fresh thyme, but this is entirely optional. You could also scatter over some fresh herbs just before serving, for example parsley or oregano.
How to Make My Cauliflower Cheese - Step-By-Step
Find the full ingredients in a printable card recipe below.
Prepare the fresh cauliflower by removing the outer leaves and cutting into roughly 1 inch steaks. Place onto a lined sheet pan - don't waste anything and use all the smaller bits too.
Toss the cauliflower together with olive oil, thyme sprigs (if using) and sea salt and black pepper. Spread the cauliflower out in a single layer out with enough space to roast, not steam.
Bake until starting to go golden, around 20 minutes then spoon the crème fraiche onto the top of the steaks in dots and top with grated cheese and parmesan.
Bake a further 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is golden and bubbling and serve immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Sauce for Cauliflower Cheese?
Cauliflower cheese is normally served with a cheesy béchamel sauce, which is rich and can be heavy.
So I've kept things lighter and instead spooned some crème fraiche and grated cheddar over the cauliflower. This gives us the same flavors with a lighter touch and a much easier way of cooking!
What is the best way to cut cauliflower steaks?
Remove the outer leaves and most of the stem from the head of cauliflower, leaving the core intact. Now place the cauliflower stem side down onto a board. Using a sharp knife, cut through the middle of the cauliflower, cutting into slices roughly 1-inch thick.
You will get 3-4 large steaks, but don't waste anything and place any smaller pieces into the roasting dish too.
Can you eat cauliflower leaves?
Yes, cauliflower leaves are edible and actually really tasty! I like to remove the large, tougher leaves, but leave the smaller ones attached to roast in the oven.
Variations & Substitutions for Cauliflower Cheese
Roasting any vegetable really brings out the flavor and this same method can be used for other veggies:
- Swap the cauliflower florets for broccoli, bell peppers or slices of zucchini.
- Leave some cloves of garlic in their skin, crush gently and add to the roasting dish.
- I have used shredded cheddar and Parmesan, but you could use Monterey jack, gruyere, mozzarella or a combination.
- Swap the crème fraiche for soft cheese.
- Add in a teaspoon of dijon mustard to the creme fraiche for a subtle twist.
- For some extra crunch, scatter some gluten-free breadcrumbs over the cheese before baking.
Tips & Tricks For Making Gluten Free Cauliflower Cheese
- Use a sharp knife when preparing the cauliflower as this always results in less danger of accidents.
- Be sure to season well with flaky sea salt as it will make all the difference to the finished dish.
- If serving these cheesy cauliflower steaks to vegetarian diners, ensure that you use vegetarian cheese.
- For easier clean up, line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
How To Serve Cheesy Roasted Cauliflower
This versatile dish can be served as a meat-free main meal, or alongside any main course.
It's great with a roast dinner or as an easy holiday side!
How To Reheat Roasted Cauliflower Cheese?
This is a dish best served hot from the oven when the cheese is soft and molten.
However, leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for a day or two. When ready to eat place into a hot oven and warm through, taking care not to overcook the cheese or it will go hard.
Pin This Gluten Free Cauliflower Cheese Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
I'd love to know what you think about this recipe! I'd be so grateful if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a star rating and comment.
This recipe was shared with the #cookblogshare community, which was kindly hosted by Sisley at Sewwhite.com
More Easy Side Dish Recipe Ideas
Gluten Free Cauliflower Cheese
- 1 large Cauliflower - trimmed and cut into 1 inch steaks
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Thyme sprigs - optional
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- 1 cup Crème Fraîche
- ⅔ cup Cheddar Cheese - shredded
- Handful Grated Parmesan or Vegetarian Alternative - optional
- Preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C
- Place the cauliflower on a large parchment line baking sheet. Be sure to include any smaller pieces or pieces that have crumbled off - these will crisp up nicely.
- Sprinkle over the olive oil, thyme sprigs (if using) and sea salt and black pepper. Toss together until all the cauliflower pieces are well coated. Spread the cauliflower out in a single layer out with enough space to roast, not steam.
- Bake in the preheated oven until starting to go golden, around 20 minutes.
- Remove the tray from oven, dot the small steaks with the crème fraiche and top with the shredded cheese and parmesan.
- Bake a further 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
- Serve immediately.