With just 5 ingredients, these Honey Butter Roasted Carrots are a quick and delicious side which will compliment any meal. Ready in under 30 minutes with minimal preparation needed, this recipe takes the humble carrot next level!
Carrots are something we always seem to have lurking in the salad drawer, even when the kitchen cupboards are bare. So it makes sense to cook more with them!
I've lost count of the times my kids are served boring boiled or steamed carrots which they refuse to eat. No wonder carrots have a bit of a blah reputation.
Like many veggies, all carrots need to elevate them is oven roasting. Add in some seasoning, butter and a drizzle of honey and my whole family will gobble them up.
This carrot side is so easy it hardly needs a recipe. And it makes a great lower carb alternative to fries too.
Why You Should Make Sheet Pan Roasted Carrots
- This great tasting veggie side takes only 5 minutes to prep, then you leave the oven to do the hard work.
- Roasting really brings out the flavor of any vegetable, so my honey butter glazed carrots taste so much better than a simple boiled or steamed carrot.
- My kids love to eat carrots when they're cooked like this. It's a great way to add to their 5-a-day and a healthier alternative to potato fries.
- Love easy veggie sides as much as I do? Then try my Tahini & Lime Sweet Potato Fries or my Easy Corn Ribs (Corn Riblets). Both these veggie recipes are a huge hit with my kids.
How to Make Honey Butter Roasted Carrots
Find the full list and quantities in the recipe below.
Cut the carrots into batons and place on a lined sheet pan.
Toss with olive oil and sea salt then roast until tender and turning golden brown - around 30 minutes.
Drizzle over honey, add the butter and toss again until all the carrots are coated.
Do I Need to Boil Carrots Before Roasting?
The simple answer is no! Boiling carrots means you lose a lot of the flavor in the water the carrots are cooked in. Instead I like to put the carrots onto a sheet pan with some olive oil and seasoning before roasting them in the oven. Roasting carrots really retains and enhances their sweet flavor.
Can I Make Vegan Roasted Carrots?
Feeding vegan diners? No problem! Replace the honey with maple syrup or agave syrup for that sticky sweetness. You can also substitute the butter with a little extra olive oil or simply leave it off the dish entirely.
Variations of Honey Roasted Carrots
This recipe is easily adapted and my simple approach to roasting can be applied to lots of different veggies. You may have to adjust the cooking time a little depending on what you're cooking.
Here are some variations and substitutions for roasting vegetables using this method of cooking:
- Vegetables: parsnip; beetroot; squash; sweet potato; turnip or rutabaga (swede). Alternatively try a combination of these veggies.
- Honey: maple syrup; agave syrup
- Herbs: garlic; thyme; rosemary; sage
- Spices: cumin seeds; fennel seeds; cinnamon; nutmeg
Tips For Making Glazed Carrots
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment as this stops the carrots from sticking to the bottom of the pan. It also makes clean up a breeze.
- When cutting the carrots into batons take care and hold firmly to avoid them slipping. Always use a sharp knife.
- Oven heat varies so keep an eye on your carrots. Make sure they are tender and turning golden brown before serving.
- Whenever you're roasting veggies, try to spread them out on the baking sheet. If they're too crowded they'll steam and go soggy rather than bake. Use 2 sheet pans if necessary.
- Don't add the butter and honey until the carrots are cooked and out of the oven - otherwise it might burn.
How To Serve Sheet Pan Roasted Carrots
This great tasting veggie side is so versatile! It can be served alongside a whole host of main dishes, basically any dish where you would serve carrots on the side.
I also often serve them in place of regular fries for a great tasting low carb alternative.
They're also perfect for Thanksgiving dinner or any holiday meal.
How To Reheat Honey Butter Roasted Carrots?
This is definitely one of those easy sides that is best served hot, straight from the oven. However, leftover glazed carrots can be easily reheated by placing them back in the oven to warm through. You may need to add a little extra olive oil to stop them drying out.
Pin This Honey Butter Roasted Carrots Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
I'd love to know what you think about this recipe! I'd be so grateful if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a star rating and comment.
More Easy Side Dish Recipe Ideas
Honey Butter Roasted Carrots - An Easy Veggie Side
- 5 Carrots - medium sized, trimmed and peeled
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil - or vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Butter - salted or unsalted is fine
- Sea Salt
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF/210ºc.
- 5 CarrotsCut the carrots in half through the middle, then cut each into even sized battons.
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil | Sea SaltPlace on a parchment lined baking sheet, toss in the olive oil and sprinkle generously with sea salt.Space the carrot sticks out on the parchment so they roast and don't steam and go soggy.
- Roast for around 30 minutes, turning occasionally, until the carrots are soft and the outsides are starting turn golden.
- 1 tbsp Honey | 1 tbsp ButterTake out of the oven, drizzle on the honey and finish by adding the butter.
- Sea SaltToss, season again with sea salt and serve immediately.
This recipe was shared with the #cookblogshare community, hosted by Carrie at www.carrieskitchen.com