This silky vegan Sweet Potato Soup with Coconut milk is comforting and nutritious. Easy to prepare, it's finished with a dash of rice wine vinegar for a subtle hint of sweet and sour. Hearty enough to serve for dinner - this will become a family favorite in no time.
It's always soup season in my house - but especially when the temperature starts dropping.
This Vegan Sweet Potato Soup flavored with creamy coconut milk is the most requested soup of any I make.
The sweet and mellow flavor is loved by kids and it's a great way to up their veggie intake.
Sweet Potato Soup is also great for anyone recuperating from illness. It just so nutritious and very easy to eat.
Why You Should Make This Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
- Taking just 30 minutes to cook, it can easily be doubled up to feed a crowd.
- If you've been overeating rich foods, this soup is like a healthy re-set in a bowl.
- It also freezes like a dream - perfect for those busy weekday nights.
- This Vegan soup contains no dairy or gluten and is suitable for anyone following a dairy or gluten free diet.
- For other great vegan soups, try these soups that can be dairy free with just a couple of tweaks. Simple Yellow Split Pea Soup, my White Bean Soup with Leek & Potato (swap the whole milk for dairy-free milk of choice); and my Thai Curry Squash & Lentil Soup (just ensure you use a vegan curry paste). If you use gluten free vegetable stock these soups are also great for gluten free diets.
Sweet Potato & Coconut Soup Ingredients
Find the full list and quantities in the recipe below.
Vegetables - a good soup starts with a base of onion and garlic. I have then added sweet potato and carrot, however, you can use any similar veggies that you want in this soup. For example swap the sweet potato for squash instead.
Coconut Milk - I use a can of full fat coconut milk as it adds great flavor and texture to the soup. However, you can use low fat coconut milk for a lighter option.
Stock - this soup is made using vegetable stock but you can also chicken stock. You may also wish to add a little more or less stock depending on how thick you like your soup. For a gluten free sweet potato soup, ensure that you use gluten free vegetable stock.
Rice Wine Vinegar - adds just a note of sourness to balance out the sweetness of the sweet potato, carrot and coconut. You could also use white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
How to Make Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
Find the full printable recipe below.
Sauté chopped onion in olive oil until soft.
Add the crushed garlic, carrots, sweet potatoes, coconut milk and stock.
Season then simmer for around 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are cooked through.
Blend until completely smooth.
Serve with a dash of vinegar to taste and a swirl of yoghurt if you’re feeling fancy.
Can I Make Sweet Potato Coconut Soup without a blender?
Not everyone has a countertop blender at home - in which case I suggest using an immersion stick blender. If you don't have one of those that's no problem either. Just cook the soup until the veggies are nice and soft then use a potato masher to mash the soup instead.
Can I make Sweet Potato Soup Spicy?
If you wish to add a touch a spice to this soup, this is easily done. Spice works well with the sweetness of the sweet potato, carrots and coconut milk.
The simplest way to add some heat is to add some fresh chili peppers to the soup. Alternatively add a spoon of curry paste - a Thai red curry paste would work really well in this soup.
Want to add spice without too much heat? Then try something like a teaspoon of ground cinnamon or ginger.
Variations of Sweet Potato & Coconut Soup
- Vegetables: the sweet potato and carrot in this soup can be replaced with any other similar veggies. Here are some suggestions: parsnip; butternut squash; pumpkin.
- Spice: a Thai red curry paste is an easy way to add flavor and chili heat to this soup. However, sweet potato and coconut also pair really well with chili, cinnamon and ginger.
- Herbs: add a lovely burst of freshness to any soup, stir some fresh herbs through towards the end of the cook. Thyme, parsley and cilantro would work well.
- Toppings: add a squeeze of fresh lime to the soup just before serving for a fresh burst of citrus zing.
Tips For Making Sweet Potato & Coconut Soup
- My key tip is don’t skip the vinegar as it really adds a lifts the flavor and adds a brightness to the soup.
- Don't worry about chopping the veggies neatly for this soup since it will all be blended. Just try to get them roughly the same size so they cook evenly.
- Make sure the sweet potatoes are fully cooked and tender before blending or they might make your soup lumpy.
- Feeding a crowd? No problem - this vegan Sweet Potato & Coconut Soup can be easily doubled or trebled.
- If the soup looks a little thick, add some extra stock or water to thin down to the desired consistency.
- When blending the soup you can use either a blender or stick blender. To get it really smooth, blend in batches and let the blender run for a while - at least 1-2 minutes.
How to make this soup even easier
- If you're short of time it's fine to use ready peeled and chopped onion and sweet potato.
- In a pinch you can also use jarred or frozen ready minced garlic, which is so handy to keep in your kitchen.
How To Serve Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
Taking only 30 minutes to prepare and cook, this soup is one of my go to dinners as it's ready in no time. This simple vegan soup also makes a deliciously light dinner option too. It's always nice to serve some crusty bread served alongside.
How To Reheat Soup?
Sweet Potato & Coconut soup is a great make ahead dish. Once cooked, cool the soup and place in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Re-heat the soup in a pot on the stove over a low heat and warm up gently until piping hot.
How to Freeze Soup?
As with most soups, this recipe is easily frozen. I like to make a big double batch, enjoying some now and freezing the rest for a quick meal later.
Once the soup is made, allow it cool completely, before decanting into containers suitable for the freezer. Place the containers in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When ready to serve defrost the soup and place into a pot and warm gently until piping hot before serving.
Pin This Vegan Sweet Potato Soup with Coconut Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
Scroll to the comments section and let me know what you think about the recipe. Did you try it? Did you adapt it? Did you love it?
More Easy Soup Recipe Ideas
Vegan Sweet Potato Soup with Coconut
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion - large - peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic - peeled and crushed
- 3 Sweet Potatoes - large, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 Carrots - medium, peeled and roughly chopped
- 13.5 oz Coconut milk
- 3-4 cups Vegetable Stock
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Rice Wine Vinegar
- Dairy-Free Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil | 1 OnionSauté the chopped onion with the olive in a large pan or Dutch oven on a medium low heat for around 10 minutes until soft.
- 2 cloves Garlic | 3 Sweet Potatoes | 3 Carrots | 13.5 oz Coconut milk | 3-4 cups Vegetable StockAdd the crushed garlic, carrots, sweet potatoes, coconut milk and stock.
- Sea Salt and Black PepperSeason really well then simmer for around 20-30 minutes until the carrots and sweet potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and carefully blend until completely smooth (this may take 1-2 minutes).
- Rice Wine Vinegar | Dairy-Free YogurtServe with a splash of vinegar to taste and a swirl of yoghurt if you’re feeling fancy.
This post was shared with the #cookblogshare community, which this week was kindly hosted by Sisley at www.sewwhite.com