Roasted Summer Squash & Zucchini with Goat Cheese has to be one of the most delicious yet easy dishes you can make. Taking less than 20 minutes, this recipe is a perfect way to get more veggies into your week.
It's always great to find more ways to use zucchini and squash, since they're everywhere during the summer!
Roasting veggies is a perfect way to cook them since it brings out their flavor and natural sweetness.
In this simple vegetable-forward dish, colorful green and yellow zucchini is sliced, seasoned and baked until it's tender.
It's then topped with goat cheese and dressed with tangy balsamic vinegar.
Why You Should Make This Roasted Summer Squash & Zucchini
- Roasting zucchini and squash is a great way to bring out it's natural sweetness and flavor.
- This is the perfect dish to use up that late summer glut of zucchini!
- It's also great if you're trying to eat more veggies in general.
- This dish goes with just about anything - grilled meats, pasta, fish or other veggies dishes.
- If you're looking for other healthy side dishes why not try my sweet potato fries or my herby potato salad.
Roasted Summer Squash & Zucchini with Goat Cheese Ingredients
Find the full list and quantities in the recipe below.
Summer Squash - this thin skinned squash has colorful yellow skin and are harvested early, while their rind is still tender and edible. They have a mild flavor so make sure to season them well.
When you're buying summer squash try to make sure that the flesh is firm and bright as this shows freshness.
Zucchini - also called a courgette - has soft and edible green skin. When choosing zucchini avoid the larger ones and instead pick those which are smaller and firm. They will be less watery and more flavorful.
Again, make sure you season zucchini well to draw out the flavor.
Goat Cheese - the tangy flavor of a soft goat cheese is the perfect paring for roasted squash. It's light texture mixes perfectly and adds a delicious richness too.
Balsamic Vinegar - adds the perfect flavor lift to finish this dish. Since a little goes a long way I always try to buy a good quality balsamic vinegar. As with any simple dish the quality of your ingredients here plays a big part in the end result.
How to Make Roasted Summer Squash & Zucchini
Find the full printable recipe below.
Slice the squash and zucchini and place on a lined baking tray.
Toss with olive oil and season with sea salt and black pepper.
Roast until tender and starting to turn golden.
Crumble goats cheese over the still hot rounds, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve.
Can I Grill Summer Squash and Zucchini?
Both summer squash and Zucchini are perfect vegetables for grilling.
It's a good idea to cut the pieces diagonally if you're grilling, to make them slightly bigger. That way they don't fall through the grill grates. Alternatively use a grill basket.
Can you eat the skin of Summer Squash?
Summer squash, like zucchini, are soft skinned. They have a very soft, edible outer layer and edible seeds too.
Can you eat Zucchini raw?
Zucchini is safe to eat raw but it can sometimes taste a little bitter. Roasting it helps to bring out it's flavor and sweetness.
Can I use any other types of squash in this recipe?
You could definitely exchange summer squash for winter squash in this recipe. Butternut squash would work particularly well with goat cheese.
Peel the squash and cut into one inch pieces (or for a short cut, buy it ready prepared. Then simply follow the recipe (below).
Make sure you adjust the cooking time, since butternut squash will take slightly longer to roast.
Variations of Roasted Summer Squash & Zucchini
If you don't have goat cheese, crumbled feta would work nicely here. Or try a sprinkling of grated parmesan (or veggie alternative if needed).
You could also easily add in some extra veggies. Thinly sliced red onions or peppers would carry on the Mediterranean theme. Cherry tomatoes would also be a perfect addition.
It might also be nice to add some different herbs to the mix. Basil is an obvious choice. Thyme would also work nicely.
Tips For Making Roasted Summer Squash & Zucchini with Goat Cheese
- For even quicker clean up, line your sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Be sure to season the summer squash and zucchini generously, since this will really help develop their flavor.
- Depending on how thick you slice your zucchini and squash they may take slightly less or more time to cook. Check for doneness by seeing if the veggies are starting to look tender and golden.
How To Serve Roasted Summer Squash & Zucchini with Goat Cheese
You can serve this with just about any protein dish for a full meal.
Can you reheat this squash salad?
It's not a great idea to re-heat this salad with the goat cheese on it. But it is great served at room temperature and will keep in the fridge in an air tight container for 2 days.
Pin This Roasted Summer Squash & Zucchini with Goat Cheese Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
I'd love to know what you think about this recipe! I'd be so grateful if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a star rating and comment.
More Simple Side Dish Recipe Ideas
Roasted Summer Squash & Zucchini with Goat Cheese
- 2 Yellow Squash
- 2 Zucchini
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- 2 oz Goat Cheese - crumbled
- Balsamic Vinegar - to drizzle
- 1 tbsp Fresh Parsley - chopped
- Preheat the oven 425ºF/210ºC
- 2 Yellow Squash | 2 ZucchiniWash then slice the squash and zucchini into quarter inch circles.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper for easier clean up (optional).
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil | Sea Salt and Black PepperToss the veggies in the olive oil and season well.
- Roast for around 15 minutes, turning once, until tender and starting to turn golden.
- 2 oz Goat Cheese | Balsamic Vinegar | 1 tbsp Fresh ParsleyDot with the crumbled goats cheese, drizzle with balsamic vinegar, scatter over chopped parsley and serve.