You can't beat Sweet Potato Slices for a fast, easy and delicious side dish and these simple roasted sweet potato rounds are sliced and baked to golden perfection in under half an hour.
Sweet potatoes have to be our favorite vegetable here at the Family Food Kitchen.
And these roasted sweet potato slices are actually much faster to make than sweet potato wedges or sweet potato fries, since you just have to slice the potatoes into rounds and toss them in oil and a little seasoning.
No need to peel them either if you don't want to - though I have done here.
Sweet potatoes are packed full of fiber and a great source of Vitamin C too.
Roasting them in the oven in a little oil makes these one of the healthiest side dishes you can make.
These crispy sweet potato slices are an updated version of the classic sweet potato casserole which is a much loved part of the Thanksgiving holiday meal.
I have served these with a spicy mayo dip, to tip the flavor over the edge.
- Why You'll Love Roasted Sweet Potato Slices
- Sweet Potato Slices Ingredients
- How to Make Sweet Potato Slices - Step-By-Step
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Variations & Substitutions for Sweet Potato Slices
- Tips & Tricks For Making Sweet Potato Slices in Oven
- Pin This Baked Sweet Potato Slices Recipe For Later
- What Do You Think?!
- More Easy Side Dish Recipe Ideas
- Printable Recipe
- Baked Sweet Potato Slices
- Reader Comments & Ratings
Why You'll Love Roasted Sweet Potato Slices
- The quick prep and cook time makes these equally good for a holiday table or a midweek meal.
- Oven roasting sweet potatoes brings out their natural sweetness.
- Sliced thinly they cook in less than 30 minutes, making this a quick and healthy side dish.
- Sweet potatoes are a great source of fiber.
- These roasted sweet potato rounds are vegan and gluten free too, so suitable for celiacs or anyone following a gluten free diet.
- Sweet potato is a versatile ingredient, why not try my Tahini & Line Sweet Potato Fries, try it in my Oven Quesadillas with Black Bean & Sweet Potato or mash it and use it to top dishes like my Shepherd's Pie with Sweet Potato.
Sweet Potato Slices Ingredients
Find the full list and quantities in the recipe card below.
Sweet Potatoes - You can use any variety of sweet potato to make this dish. In the US we have many more varieties available than in the UK, including white skinned ones. They can all be cooked using this same method.
Olive Oil - I use regular olive oil as the burn temperature of extra virgin olive oil has is too low for roasting these slices in the oven. You can use any other light flavored oil, coconut oil is a great substitute.
Seasonings - I have kept things simple with salt and pepper, but you can experiment with any other flavors and seasonings and I have given you some suggestions later in this post.
How to Make Sweet Potato Slices - Step-By-Step
Find the full printable recipe below.
Preheat the oven and line a large sheet pan (or two smaller ones) with parchement paper or greased aluminum foil. This will help make clean up super simple.
Peel the sweet potatoes (or don't for skin-on slices) and slice with a sharp knife into ¼ inch slices.
Place on the sheet pans and toss with olive oil and sea salt and pepper.
Lay the slices out so they are in a single layer - this will make sure they cook nice and evenly.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, turning once, until the potatoes are tender and starting go golden and crispy. Serve hot!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make Skin-On Baked Sweet Potato Slices?
Yes, absolutely. It comes down to personal preference, you can leave the skin on, or take it off as I have done here.
Can Sweet Potato Slices be Cooked in an Air Fryer?
Yes, these sweet potato rounds can be cooked in the oven or your air fryer. If cooking in the air fryer, coat the potato slices with olive oil and season. Then load the sweet potato slices into the basket of the air fryer in a single layer.
Cook for around 15 minutes at 360F/180C and I suggest cooking in batches so the slices don't over lap in the basket.
Variations & Substitutions for Sweet Potato Slices
You can cut the rounds into thin or thick slices depending on how you like them. Just ensure you adjust the cooking times accordingly.
I have used a little olive oil, but any other cooking oil will work too. Coconut oil is a great substitute.
I have kept my recipe super easy with simple ingredients but if you can experiment with flavors and seasonings if you want. Here are some ideas:
- orange zest or lemon zest
- Parmesan cheese
- Italian seasoning
- Cajun seasoning
- chili powder or red pepper flakes
- ground cumin or smoked paprika
Tips & Tricks For Making Sweet Potato Slices in Oven
This is the perfect side dish. To make prep time even quicker, leave the skin on the sweet potatoes.
Line the baking sheet with baking paper, this stops the sweet potatoes from sticking and makes clean up easier.
Always take the time to arrange the sweet potato pieces in a single layer on the baking sheet. This results in a more even cook and ensures they crisp up nicely.
Make sure you have a sharp knife to cut the slices with. Alternatively a mandolin slicer also works well.
How To Serve Sweet Potato Slices
This easy side dish tastes delicious served with some mayonnaise as I have done here. However, if you like things spicy it's also great with a spicy mayo dip like my Gochujang Mayonnaise.
How To Reheat Sweet Potato Slices in Oven?
These crispy Sweet Potato Slices are best eaten hot straight from the oven.
However, you can reheat leftovers. Store the sweet potato rounds in an airtight container. To reheat, place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper, add a little more oil and place into a hot oven until warmed through.
Pin This Baked Sweet Potato Slices Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
I'd love to know what you think about this recipe! I'd be so grateful if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a star rating and comment.
More Easy Side Dish Recipe Ideas
Baked Sweet Potato Slices
- 4 Sweet Potatoes - sliced into ¼ inch thick rounds
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF or 225ºC
- Line a large baking sheet (or 2 smaller baking sheets) with parchment paper or lightly oiled aluminium foil for easier clean up.
- Place the sweet potato slices on the sheet pan(s) then toss well with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Lay the slices out in a single layer on the pan so they cook evenly and are not too crowded.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, turning once, until the potatoes are tender and starting go golden and crispy.
This post was shared with the #cookblogshare community, which this week was kindly hosted by Kacie at The Rare Welsh Bit.