These easy Oven Quesadillas with Black Bean & Sweet Potato are a dream dinner. Quick, no fuss, good for you and fun - once tried they'll become a family favorite in no time! Especially if you offer a build-your-own toppings bar too.
Quesadillas have to be one of the easiest family friend dinners ever.
I will eat practically anything in a tortilla covered in melted cheese and so will my kids.
These Oven Quesadillas with Black Bean & Sweet Potato are one of my all time most popular recipes. Give them a try and get them on your dinner rotation ASAP!
Why You Should Try Oven Quesadillas with Black Bean & Sweet Potato
- The crunch you get from cooking quesadillas in the oven is unbelievable. They rarely crisp up as well in a pan - the edges will burn before the middle is crunchy!
- The huge advantage of making vegetarian quesadillas in the oven is the amount you can cook at once. This means no more standing over a frying pan painfully cooking them one by one (as your kids get hungrier and more grumpy by the minute.)
- These are great if you have a houseful to feed and want something quick, easy and different to the usual pizza. They also stay warm over time in a low oven.
- The recipe is totally flexible! If you don’t want to use the sweet potato or black beans you can swap ingredients around according to what you have in the house. I've included some variations further down the page.
What Exactly is a Quesadilla? Are they Mexican?!
A quesadilla is a type of Mexican sandwich made from a tortilla, usually filled with cheese ( a Mexican Grilled Cheese if you will!).
They also often contain also meat and spices. Quesadillas are traditionally cooked on a griddle. But in this recipe I bake them in the oven for extra ease and crispiness!
What You Will Need to Make Oven Baked Quesadillas
I like to use large 8 inch wheat tortillas for baked quesadillas since they fold so nicely and crisp up well.
If you're gluten free or prefer corn tortillas, they're fine too. But since they're often smaller - at 6 inches - it's better to serve them in halves.
I scrub then bake mine in the microwave for ease. They take between 6 to 10 minutes on high power to cook, depending on the size.
I then carefully slice them open through the middle, mash the flesh with a fork and scoop it onto the tortilla in one easy movement (to save on washing up).
Drained rinsed canned black beans are easiest here. They pack such a great nutritional punch and they really up the fiber content.
If you love to cook your beans from scratch - first of all well done! - Secondly they work perfectly too, they just obviously take longer. Canned refried beans would also work well if you have no black beans.
I love cheddar cheese for the flavor. But its fine to use any other kind of cheese you like. Mozzarella is always good for the extra gooey effect.
Tips For Making Oven Quesadillas with Black Bean & Sweet Potato
- Make sure you pre-heat the baking sheet in the oven before cooking the quesadillas. It really helps to get the underside crunchy.
- Carefully line the baking sheet with parchment as it makes clean up so much easier. Then brush the parchement with olive oil (all in the name of a better crunch!)
How To Serve Vegetarian Quesadillas
I love to serve these with a toppings bar so everyone can help themselves.
They are delicious with home made or store bought salsa or guacamole. Slices of ripe avocado, cherry tomatoes, pickled onions, fresh cilantro and shredded romaine lettuce all go well.
As does sour cream, hot sauce and just about anything else you have lurking in the fridge.
Can You Reheat Oven Quesadillas?
You can bring crispy tortillas back to life by warming them in a skillet or frying pan on the stove top over a low heat. Ideally with a little bit of melted butter.
How Do You Keep Quesadillas Warm and Crispy?
Once baked, you can keep these tortillas crispy in a low oven at around 250ºF/120ºC for up to 30 minutes. Perfect if you're entertaining or waiting for people to come home to eat.
Pin This Oven Quesadillas with Black Bean & Sweet Potato Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
I'd love to know what you think about this recipe! I'd be so grateful if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a star rating and comment.
More Easy Recipe Ideas
- Creamy Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Charred Broccolini with Lemon & Chili
- Creamy Beef Taco Soup
- Honey Roasted Cashews
- Red Wine Jus (Make Ahead Gravy, Gluten Free)
- Honey Baked Turkey Breast with Vegetables
- Cast Iron Pork Tenderloin with Butter & Thyme Pan Sauce
- Butter Bean Stew
- Instant Pot Ham & Beans
- Delicious Holiday Desserts
- Pan Fried Chickpeas
- Easy Pork Stroganoff with Noodles
- Instant Pot Bean Soup (Vegan)
- Easy Leftover Chicken Curry
- Chilli Scrambled Eggs
- Creamy Mushroom Noodle Soup
- Microwaved Green Beans with Lemon & Almonds
- Instant Pot Chicken & Noodles
- Butternut Squash & Red Pepper Soup
- Charred Corn - Blackened Corn
Oven Quesadillas with Black Bean & Sweet Potato
- 4 Wheat Tortillas - approx. 8" or 20cm
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil - for brushing
- 1 cup Sweet Potato - cooked & mashed
- 1 15oz can Cooked Black Beans - rinsed and drained
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese - grated
- 1 tsp Chili Powder - optional
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper - to taste
- Mild Tomato Salsa - either bought or homemade
- Avocado - ripe, pitted and sliced
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Fresh Cilantro (Coriander)
- Lettuce - shredded or chopped
- Lime - cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 425ºF/210ºC
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and brush it with olive oil.
- Place the tortillas one by one, on a baking sheet. You may need to use more than one sheet.
- Sprinkle roughly ⅛ of the cheese over half of each tortilla.
- Add ¼ of the mashed sweet potato to each tortilla. Add it over the same half as the cheese.
- Season well and sprinkle with the chili powder if using.
- Add ¼ of the black beans on top of the sweet potato on each tortilla.
- Split the remaining cheese over the tortillas.
- Fold each tortilla in half and carefully brush the top with oil.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then take out of oven, flip and bake for another 8 minutes.
- Cut into triangles and serve immediately with your favourite toppings. Topping suggestions have been provided in the ingredients.