These 3 ingredient chicken sausage rolls are always a huge hit! Using ready made puff pastry means they're ready in minutes! Serve as an appetizer or an easy snack on their own or with your favorite dip or sauce.
This easy chicken sausage roll recipe is an old favourite and they're always the first thing to go at parties. All you do is fill ready rolled puff pastry with chicken sausage meat seasoned with salt and black pepper. Then roll up the pastry, seal and cut the sausage rolls to size and bake in a hot oven until crisp and golden.
So simple but so good, these easy sausage rolls can be enjoyed hot or cold and make a great appetizer for a get together for family and friends. They're a great way to use up leftover chicken mince too.
You can also make air fryer sausage rolls and I include instructions for cooking in the air fryer later in this post.
- Why You'll Love This Chicken Sausage Rolls Recipe
- Homemade Chicken Sausage Rolls Recipe Ingredients
- How to Make Chicken Sausage Rolls - Step-By-Step
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Variations & Substitutions for Easy Chicken Sausage Rolls
- Top Tips & Tricks For Making Chicken Sausage Rolls
- Pin This Chicken Sausage Rolls - 3 Ingredients Recipe For Later
- What Do You Think?!
- More Easy Appetizer Recipe Ideas
- Printable Recipe
- Chicken Sausage Rolls - 3 Ingredients
- Reader Comments & Ratings
Why You'll Love This Chicken Sausage Rolls Recipe
- These 3 ingredient chicken sausage rolls are quick and easy to prepare and cook.
- Everyone loves a platter of hot sausage rolls, straight from the oven. Perfect for parties and game day.
- Enjoy hot or cold, they make a great grab and go snack.
- This easy recipe can be made in advance and stores really well in both the refrigerator and freezer.
- Try some of my other easy appetizer and snack recipes:
Homemade Chicken Sausage Rolls Recipe Ingredients
Find the full list and quantities in the recipe card below.
Chicken Sausage - use any variety of chicken sausage meat with the casings removed or use ground chicken.
Puff Pastry - for ease I used a pack of 14x16" ready rolled puff pastry.
Egg - I used a beaten egg to seal and glaze the pastry before baking in the oven.
How to Make Chicken Sausage Rolls - Step-By-Step
Find the full printable recipe below.
Remove the chicken sausage meat from the sausage skins, place the meat in a bowl and season with sea salt and pepper. Stir to break up the meat and divide the meat in half in the bowl.
Open the puff pastry and carefully unroll it then cut the pastry in two so you have two long rectangles.
Gently roll one half of the filling ingredients into a sausage shape and fit it to one side of the pastry. Working quickly so the pastry stays cold, do the same with the other half of the sausage roll filling.
Take a pastry brush and brush whisked egg down the right long side of the pastry pieces then lift the left side of the pastry over the sausage meat and seal the edges of the pastry, pressing down with a fork. Repeat with the other half of the pastry and sausage meat.
Brush all the exposed pastry with the egg was and cut each long sausage roll into 8 equal pieces then transfer carefully to a parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake on a parchment paper lined baking tray for around 20 minutes or until golden brown and serve!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make sausage rolls with regular pastry?
Yes, you can use puff pastry sheets or regular shortcrust pastry to make sausage rolls. Just don't roll shortcrust pastry too thin, otherwise you risk it tearing when it comes time to roll up and cut.
What temperature should you bake puff pastry?
Puff pastry needs to be cooked at a high temperature as you need to produce steam which then puffs up the pastry in the oven. Too low a temperature and you risk flat pastry. 420ºF/210ºC is perfect.
Do I need to add a knife slit to the top of sausage rolls?
The slit on the tops of the sausage rolls is to stop the pastry from splitting when baking in the hot oven, particularly when cooking larger sausage rolls. However, it's not strictly necessary with smaller sausage rolls, they bake just as well without the score.
Are chicken sausage rolls healthier than regular ones?
Yes, as chicken sausages are made with lean ground chicken meat, they contain a lot less saturated fat than pork, beef or lamb sausages.
How to cook sausage rolls?
Sausage rolls are cooked at 420ºF/210ºC for around 20 minutes until golden brown and baked through.
How long to cook sausage rolls from frozen?
If cooking the sausage rolls from frozen you will need to cook them for longer to ensure the sausage is cooked through, around 30-35 minutes at 420f/210c.
You may need to loosely cover the sausage rolls towards the end of the cook to stop the tops from becoming too brown.
Do I have to egg wash sausage rolls?
You don't have to, but brushing on an egg wash does help the sausage rolls to crisp up and go super golden! If you have an egg allergy, some milk can be brushed over the top instead.
Can I make sausage rolls in the air fryer?
To cook chicken sausage rolls in the air fryer preheat to 420ºF/210ºC f and place the sausage rolls into the basket spaced out. Cook for 20 minutes, however check as they are baking as air fryers vary from model to model.
Variations & Substitutions for Easy Chicken Sausage Rolls
- Swap chicken sausages for ground chicken, just ensure you add some extra seasoning to enhance the flavor.
- I've used plain chicken sausages but you can use any other variety of sausage to fill sausage rolls.
- Stir some freshly chopped herbs like fresh thyme, or chopped parsley or thyme through the chicken mixture.
- Add some dried spices like dried oregano or Italian seasoning to the chicken mixture.
- Worcestershire sauce is a great addition. You can also stir through some tomato paste for a savory boost.
- For a spicy twist stir through some red pepper flakes or chili powder.
- Sprinkle sesame or poppy seeds over the top of the pastry before baking.
Top Tips & Tricks For Making Chicken Sausage Rolls
When working with any pastry work quickly - leave it in the fridge until you need to use it, if it warms up it's much harder to handle.
If your hands are too warm they will soften the pastry too much so try and cool them down by running under cold water before handling the pastry.
Make sure the sausage rolls are sealed properly - it doesn't have to look perfect but they need to close so they bake properly in the oven and don't open out.
Give them space to bake and expand on the baking sheet - at least 1 inch apart.
You can make these ahead of time which means they are the perfect party appetizer!
Either cooked or uncooked these store in fridge or even the freezer brilliantly. If they're already baked just reheat (see further instructions below).
How To Serve Chicken Sausage Rolls
This recipe makes 16 small sized sausage rolls which are perfect for an appetizer or snack. Enjoy them hot or cold, and with or without your favorite dip or sauce, it's entirely down to personal choice. Sausage rolls travel well so they also make a great snack on the go.
How To Reheat Sausage Rolls?
Chicken sausage rolls can be reheated in a warm oven or in the microwave, taking care only to warm through and not overcook or burn the sausage rolls.
How to Freeze Sausage Rolls?
You can freeze sausage rolls either baked or unbaked. I prefer unbaked as it avoids the sausage rolls from over cooking when being reheated.
To freeze uncooked sausage rolls, assemble them in a single layer in an airtight container lined with baking paper. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months and when ready to enjoy bake from frozen.
To freeze once baked, allow the sausages to cool completely then place into an airtight container lined with baking paper and place another sheet between each layer of sausage rolls. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months and defrost overnight in the refrigerator then warm up in a hot oven or in the microwave.
Pin This Chicken Sausage Rolls - 3 Ingredients Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
I'd love to know what you think about this recipe! I'd be so grateful if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a star rating and comment.
More Easy Appetizer Recipe Ideas
Chicken Sausage Rolls - 3 Ingredients
- 1 lb Chicken Sausage - or ground chicken
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry - ready rolled rectangle - 14x16"
- 1 Egg, - cracked into a small bowl and whisked
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 420f/210c.
- Score the sausages with a sharp knife, remove the meat from the skin and discard the skins.
- Place the chicken sausage meat in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper and stir to break up the meat.
- Divide the meat in half in the bowl.
- Open the puff pastry and carefully unroll it on the paper it's packed in.
- Cut the pastry in two so you have two long rectangles.
- Gently roll one half of the chicken mixture into a sausage shape and fit it to one side of the pastry.
- Working quickly so the pastry stays cold, do the same with the other half of the meat.
- Take a pastry brush and brush whisked egg down the right long side of the pastry pieces.
- Now lift the left side of the pastry over the sausage meat and seal, pressing down with a fork
- Repeat with the other half of the pastry and sausage meat.
- Brush all the exposed pastry with the egg wash.
- Cut each long sausage roll into 8 equal pieces and transfer carefully to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for around 20 minutes or until golden brown.