This Beet & Yogurt Salad (also know as Patzarosalata) looks stunning, tastes amazing yet is super simple to make. It combines red and gold oven roasted beets with a creamy yogurt sauce.
This beet salad recipe is my absolute favorite. Roasting the beets first is so easy and really helps to bring out the sweet and earthy flavors of this humble root vegetable.
Influenced by the flavors of the islands, my Greek beet salad recipe is served with a simple Greek yogurt dressing. It helps to create a yogurt sauce for the beets plus looks amazing on a serving platter.
- Why You'll Love This Beet and Yogurt Salad
- Beetroot & Yogurt Salad Ingredients
- How to Make Beet & Yogurt Salad - Step-By-Step
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Variations & Substitutions for Beetroot & Yogurt Salad
- Tips & Tricks For Making this delicious salad
- Pin This Beet & Yogurt Salad (Patzarosalata) Recipe For Later
- What Do You Think?!
- More Easy Salad Recipe Ideas
- Printable Recipe
- Beet & Yogurt Salad (Patzarosalata)
- Reader Comments & Ratings
Why You'll Love This Beet and Yogurt Salad
- This beet yogurt salad is a real show stopper - ideal for entertaining.
- The perfect salad to get a rainbow of colorful veggies into your weekly diet.
- Greek beetroot salad is ideal for celiacs or gluten free diets.
- Hand's on prep time is minimal, most of the time is taken up with the beets roasting in the oven.
- Prep ahead and roast the beets in advance, then it just takes 5 minutes to dress the salad when you're ready to eat.
- Love salad? Try some of these great tasting recipes:
Beetroot & Yogurt Salad Ingredients
Find the full list and quantities in the recipe card below.
Beets - I've used 50/50 red and golden beets as the combination not only looks pretty, but tastes great. I love to add a rainbow of color to my diet. If you can only get your hands on red beets that will work out too.
Yogurt - Full fat plain Greek yogurt is the best for this recipe as it has a lovely rich and creamy texture. You can use lower fat yogurt if you prefer, but use a minimum 2% fat or it will be too runny.
Vinegar - Sherry vinegar works best in this salad, it really compliments the other flavors on the dish. You can use white wine, apple cider or rice wine vinegar if you don't have sherry.
Olive Oil - I always use a good quality extra-virgin olive oil to roast the beets as it adds depth of flavor. You can also use regular olive oil.
How to Make Beet & Yogurt Salad - Step-By-Step
Find the full printable recipe below.
Scrub the beets then roast wrapped in aluminum foil with olive oil and a pinch of salt until fork tender. This will take between 40 and 60 minutes depending on the size of the beets.
Allow the beets to fully cool in the foil parcel then unwrap and remove the skins using paper towel. Cut the skinned beets into wedges.
Make the dressing combining vinegar, olive oil, sugar and seasoning in a large bowl. Add the beet wedges and toss until they're well coated.
Serve by smearing Greek yogurt on a large serving plate then topping with the dressed beets, any remaining dressing and chopped dill.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the easiest way to roast beets?
Preheat the oven to 400°F then scrub the beets with a vegetable brush. Cut any large beets in half, leave smaller ones whole so they are roughly an even size. Next wrap them in aluminum foil with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt.
Place the aluminum parcel on a baking sheet and roast in the oven until fork-tender (test them with a knife or skewer). They will take anywhere between 40 and 60 minutes depending on the size of the beet. Once they're cooked, unwrap the parcel, peel and they are ready to enjoy.
What's the easiest way to peel beets?
The easiest way to peel beets is to rub off the skins with a piece of paper towel. They don't stain your hands with pink color as much when cooked - but you can also do this step with plastic gloves on.
Variations & Substitutions for Beetroot & Yogurt Salad
- I've used dill in this salad, but any fresh herbs will work great, try fresh mint or parsley.
- Add extra flavor while roasting the beets, place some garlic cloves and/or sprigs of fresh thyme into the parcel.
- For a middle eastern twist you can also try roasting the beets in cumin seeds.
- Sherry vinegar is my go-to for this recipe, or another lighter vinegar like apple cider or white wine vinegar. In a pinch you could also use balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar.
Tips & Tricks For Making this delicious salad
This is a great prep ahead dish, if you roast the beets in advance this salad takes just 5 minutes to pull together and will be the prettiest thing on your table!
If you are in a time crunch buy ready roasted beets from the store. Don't buy beetroots in vinegar however as they are too sour and strong for this salad recipe.
How To Serve Beet & Creamy Yoghurt Salad
Serve the beets warm or at room temperature. It's perfect for a light and delicious meal, and I like to serve my Greek beet salad with some crusty bread.
My easy beetroot salad also makes a delicious and hearty side salad, as the yogurt sauce balances out richer meat dishes. Try it with my Cast Iron Pork Tenderloin, Roast Chicken or Grilled Chicken Thighs with Lemon & Garlic.
How To Store Leftover Beet & Yogurt Salad?
If you have leftovers, I recommend storing the roasted beets and yogurt sauce in separate containers. This will avoid the juices from the beets bleeding into the sauce. You can store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
If you prefer the beets to be served warm, pop the back into a hot oven to warm through, before preparing the salad.
Pin This Beet & Yogurt Salad (Patzarosalata) Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
I'd love to know what you think about this recipe! I'd be so grateful if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a star rating and comment.
More Easy Salad Recipe Ideas
Beet & Yogurt Salad (Patzarosalata)
- 6 medium Beets - a mix of red and golden varieties looks great
- 2 tbsp Vinegar - sherry otherwise use white wine, apple cider or rice wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ⅛ tsp Sugar
- ¾ cup Greek Yogurt - at least 2% but ideally full fat!
- 2 tbsp Fresh Dill - chopped
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°c.
- Scrub the beets well then place on a large square of aluminum foil.
- Drizzle with around ¼ of the olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Wrap the beets in the foil then place the parcel on a baking sheet.
- Roast until fork-tender (test them with a knife or skewer). They will take anywhere between 40 minutes to an hour depending on the size of the beet.
- Allow to cool in the foil parcel.
- Peel the beets by rubbing off the skins with a piece of paper towel. You can use plastic gloves to save your hands getting stained!
- Cut the beets into wedges.
- In a medium bowl, mix the vinegar, remaining olive oil, sugar. Season generously with salt and black pepper.
- Toss the beats in the bowl and make sure they are coated with dressing.
- Smear the yogurt over a large serving plate in swirls. season with sea salt.
- Spoon the beets onto the plate. Add any remaining dressing.
- Scatter over the chopped dill and serve!