This moist and moreish Chocolate Chip Banana Loaf comes fully loaded with chocolate chunks and maple syrup instead of white sugar. The bonus fresh banana topping will give you that all-important drool-worthy presentation. Perfect!
There’s no denying that while we were all been locked down with Corona virus, banana bread had it’s moment in the sun. The whole nation embraced quarantine baking. And no recipe except maybe sourdough bread has been as popular.
I’ve tried soooo many banana bread recipes that I can’t even recall how many. But lately I’ve settled on this one. It's got the banana bread X factor. Plus it doesn't contain too many ingredients, has no added refined sugar and works like a dream.
Why You Should Try this Healthy-ish Chocolate Banana Bread
- It sounds basic, however this recipe is incredibly moist and banana-ish. Simple but essential and puzzlingly hard to find in banana bread recipes 😉
- The fresh banana topping adds a lovely finish and gives you that instagram worthy food style.
- It’s a great way of using up those over-ripe bananas sitting in your fruit bowl that will otherwise get wasted.
Is Banana Bread a Healthy Snack?
As with many recipes, the devil's really in the detail here. But I would say depending on the recipe, banana bread can definitely be moderately healthy.
This particular recipe is made with no refined sugar, which is a big tick. I'm no health expert but many people believe coconut oil can boost good cholesterol.
I always use 70% cocoa chocolate which is full of antioxidants. So you really don't have to feel too guilty about eating a slice or two of this!
How to make this Chocolate Chip Banana Loaf
- Preheat oven to 325ºF/160ºC and grease a standard sized 4.5 x 8.5 inch loaf pan
- Mix the mashed banana in with all the other wet ingredients
- In a separate bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, leaving a handful for the top.
- Pour into the loaf pan.
- Add 2 halves of banana carefully to the cake and scatter the final chocolate chips on the top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until a cake skewer comes out clean.
What you will Need to Make This Healthy-ish Chocolate Chip Banana Loaf
This is completely non negotiable. The riper the better as far as banana bread is concerned.
What’s the Best Way to Mash Bananas?
Sometimes clean hands are your best kitchen tool! The easiest way to mash ripe bananas is literally squishing them with your hands in a bowl.
Baking with coconut oil is a great alternative to butter here as it means there's no need to break out the Kitchenaid or mixer! It also makes sure the crumb is super moist.
Maple Syrup or Honey
Either one is fine depending on your preference and what you have in the cupboard. It’s there to add an little extra sweetness and that mellow flavor too.
Tips For Making the Best Chocolate Chip Banana Loaf Cake
This is an old school tip! Whenever you unwrap butter save the papers in your fridge. They are great for greasing pans and mean you don’t have to use an artificial spray.
How to Stop the Top from Burning or Catching?
Loaf cakes take a long time to bake so watch the top of the cake carefully for any signs of overbrowning.
The top of the loaf should be golden brown. If it looks like it’s starting to take on too much color, loosely tent the pan with greased aluminum foil to protect the cake.
How to Check if the Cake is Cooked
To check if your banana bread is cooked, insert a tooth pick or thin skewer into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, it’s cooked.
What Can I See Instead of a Loaf Pan?
No loaf pan - no worries. You can bake banana bread in a 9x9 inch greased square pan.
Don’t forget to reduce your baking time - it should take just 20-25 minutes to bake. And you don’t have to worry about the top of the loaf overbrowning either.
How To Serve Chocolate Chip Banana Loaf
I love to eat banana bread straight from the oven
It’s also delicious sliced up and spread with butter
If your banana bread is a day or two old try warming slices of it in the toaster. Totally delicious as edges will go kind of chewy
Can You Freeze Maple Banana Bread?
Yes, you definitely can. In fact there’s nothing nicer or more convenient to pull out of the freezer when you're in need of a breakfast or anytime treat.
Pin This Chocolate Chip Banana Loaf Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
I'd love to know what you think about this recipe! I'd be so grateful if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a star rating and comment.
Easy dinner ideas
Chocolate Chip Banana Loaf
- 4 Ripe Bananas - 3 mashed & 1 halved lengthways
- ⅓ cup Coconut Oil - melted and cooled slightly
- ⅓ cup Maple Syrup or Honey
- ¼ cup Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 ¾ cup All-Purpose Flour - gluten free if required
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F/160°C
- Grease a 2lb loaf pan.
- Mix the coconut oil, mashed bananas, honey or maple syrup, milk, eggs &, vanilla in a bowl.
- In separate bowl mix together the all purpose flour, baking soda and salt.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the chocolate chips but keep a handful aside for the top.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan.
- Add 2 halves of banana carefully to top of the cake with the sliced side showing.
- Scatter over the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until a cake tester or skewer comes out clean.
- Watch the top! If it starts getting too brown, loosely tent the pan with greased aluminium foil to protect the cake.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for around 5 minutes then carefully loosen with a palate knife and turn out onto rack to cool.
- Slice and serve!