This easy Creamy Chicken Vegetable Soup is pure comfort food. Loaded with veggies, this creamy chicken soup recipe comes together in just 30 minutes.
Hearty chicken and vegetable soup is a one pot meal, perfect for warming up from the inside out during the cold winter months.
As well as being delicious, this easy chicken and vegetable soup can be made with leftover roast chicken (or rotisserie chicken) and a variety of vegetables. Just warm up and serve with a side of crusty bread for a delicious lunch or light dinner option.
Soup is the perfect make ahead meal prep dish. As with all soups, this hearty creamy chicken soup tastes even better the next day when all the flavors have had a chance to meld together.
- Why You'll Love This Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Chicken Vegetable Soup Ingredients
- How to Make Creamy Chicken Vegetable Soup - Step-By-Step
- Variations & Substitutions for Easy Chicken & Vegetable Soup
- Tips & Tricks For Making this Creamy Chicken Soup Recipe
- Pin This Creamy Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe For Later
- What Do You Think?!
- More Easy Soup Recipe Ideas
- Printable Recipe
- Creamy Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Reader Comments & Ratings
Why You'll Love This Chicken Vegetable Soup
- This is a great recipe for using leftover chicken from the weekend's roast.
- Soup is a healthy way of packing those vegetables in. Feel free to adapt and add the veggies you and your whole family enjoy eating.
- Leftovers make a great lunch the next day. You can heat them and pack in a thermos for lunch on the go.
- If you love one pots, try these recipes for perfect comfort food:
Chicken Vegetable Soup Ingredients
Find the full list and quantities in the recipe card below.
Chicken - this recipe uses cooked chicken and is a great way to use up leftover chicken from the weekend's roast, or a rotisserie chicken from your local store.
Vegetables - onion, celery and carrots make a great base of flavor with any soup. I also like to add in a cup of corn, but this is entirely optional. This is a versatile recipe, as most soups are, so add in the veggies you and your family enjoy eating.
Chicken Broth - use a good quality chicken broth as it will make all the difference to the flavor of the finished soup. Vegetable stock would also work here too.
Gluten free chicken broth is available in most stores if you are making this soup for gluten free diners.
Cream - I've added heavy cream but it can be replaced with half and half or light cream. Or can be left out entirely for a broth based soup.
How to Make Creamy Chicken Vegetable Soup - Step-By-Step
Find the full printable recipe below.
Fry the diced onion, celery and carrots in the butter (or olive oil) stirring occasionally, until soft. This should take around 10 minutes.
Season well with sea salt and stir in the minced garlic then add the shredded cooked chicken and chicken broth. Stir everything together well.
Bring the soup to a boil then turn down to a simmer. It should be barely bubbling. Add the lid and simmer for around 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Taste and season again if required then add the corn (optional) and heavy cream. Stir well. If you prefer a thinner soup, add more chicken broth.
Check the seasoning for the final time and adjust if needed. Serve this delicious meal hot garnished with fresh chopped parsley.
How to Make Creamy Chicken Vegetable Soup in the Slow Cooker/Crockpot
I recommend softening the vegetables in butter first, before adding to the slow cooker. Then add in the cooked chicken, garlic and chicken broth, and stir to combine. Cover with a lid and cook on low for 2 hours, then add the heavy cream and corn, replace the lid and continue cooking for 30 minutes until warmed through.
How to Make Electric Pressure Cooker/Instant Pot Chicken Vegetable Soup
Switch the instant pot to sauté setting and soften the vegetables. Then add the cooked chicken, garlic and chicken broth, and stir to combine. Close the lid and cook on manual high pressure for 5 minutes.
Once it has finished cooking let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes then release the remaining pressure via manual release. Stir through the heavy cream and corn then serve.
How to make this soup in the Oven
Again this recipe is easily adapted if you want to make this Chicken Soup in the Oven. I like to use my Dutch oven, but any lidded oven-proof pot will work. Follow the recipe, bring the broth to a boil, then cover the pot with the lid and place in a preheated oven at 300ºF/150ºC for 45 minutes.
Variations & Substitutions for Easy Chicken & Vegetable Soup
- If you wanted to add raw chicken you could - boneless skinless chicken breast cut up works well, as do chicken thighs. Just adjust the cooking time to make sure its cooked through.
- Load this easy chicken soup up with any other veggies that you and your family enjoy eating.
- For extra greens you could stir through some baby spinach or shredded kale at the end of cooking.
- You could turn this into chicken noodle soup by adding your favorite pasta or traditional egg noodles.
- For a dairy free chicken soup, swap the heavy cream for coconut milk which tastes delicious in this soup.
- For a lighter soup, try using whole milk rather than cream. Or leave the dairy out all together.
- If serving gluten free diners, ensure you use a gluten free chicken stock.
Tips & Tricks For Making this Creamy Chicken Soup Recipe
Taste the soup and check for seasoning, if necessary add a little more salt and pepper during cooking.
If you like your broth a bit thinner feel free to add some more chicken or vegetable stock along the way.
Soup is a great make ahead dish and one that always tastes better next day when all the flavors have had a change to meld together.
How To Serve Thick Chicken & Vegetable Soup?
This is a filling bowl of soup that is enough on it's own as you have everything here for a really filling one pot meal. Some biscuits or dinner rolls to help mop up the rich broth is also a great bet. It could also be fun to serve this soup in a bread bowl.
How To Reheat Hearty Chicken & Vegetable Soup?
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator and use within 2-3 days. To re-heat place in a saucepan and place over a medium heat to warm to piping hot. Or alternatively, warm through in the microwave. You could also turn this soup into a chicken pot pie by covering the leftovers with a sheet of pastry and baking in the oven.
How to Freeze Chicken & Sweetcorn Soup?
Try freezing this soup before adding in the cream as dairy can separate when frozen. Then when it comes time to reheat, you can defrost the soup, heat it on the stove and add in the cream before serving.
Pin This Creamy Chicken Vegetable Soup Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
I'd love to know what you think about this recipe! I'd be so grateful if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a star rating and comment.
More Easy Soup Recipe Ideas
Creamy Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 2 tbsp Butter - or Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion - diced
- 2 ribs Celery - diced
- 2 medium Carrots - peeled and diced
- 2 cloves Garlic - finely minced
- 3 cups Cooked Chicken - leftover or rotisserie
- 4 cups Chicken Broth - gluten free if needed
- 1 cup Corn - optional
- ½ cup Heavy Cream (Double Cream) - see notes
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
To Garnish (optional)
- Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Melt the butter (olive oil) in a large Dutch Oven or large saucepan with a lid over a medium high heat.
- Fry the diced onion, celery and carrots in the butter stirring occasionally, until soft. This should take around 10 minutes.
- Season well with sea salt and black pepper. Stir in the minced garlic.
- Add the shredded cooked chicken and chicken broth. Stir everything together well.
- Bring the soup to a boil then turn down to a simmer. It should be barely bubbling.
- Add the lid and simmer for around 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and season again if required.
- Add the corn (optional) and heavy cream and stir.
- Note - If you prefer your soup a little thinner, it's fine to add some more stock here.
- Serve hot sprinkled with chopped parsley (optional).