Bored of regular pasta? Try this one pot Super Green Gnocchi with pesto, broccoli and peas! Guaranteed to bring anyone over to the green side, this healthy and tasty midweek family dinner comes together in minutes. It's also a great way to use up leftover pesto!
What To Do With a Leftover Jar of Pesto?
As with lots of my recipes, the inspiration for this one came about because I was trying to think of something new and different to do with leftovers. This time a jar of pesto!
In an attempt to boost our immune systems, we had a competition in my house to see who can eat thirty different fruit and vegetables in a week. We even had a little league table chart stuck on the fridge and everything.
Full disclosure - the six year old notched up just one banana one day. But since pesto makes everything taste great, they all nailed broccoli, peas and basil every time I made this 😉
Why You Should Try Super Green Gnocchi with Pea, Pesto and Broccoli
- This green goddess gnocchi contains just five ingredients, making it the perfect midweek dinner.
- You can cook everything in one pot, so you’ll save on dishes too!
- Pesto is the secret weapon used by families everywhere to get those greens in!
What is Gnocchi?
Gnocchi is a type of Italian pasta. They are most commonly made of cooked mashed potatoes, flour and eggs.
Some gnocchi recipes also add ricotta cheese to the dough. You can make gnocchi at home - it is a very fun project but can be time consuming. For speed and convenience I used store bought gnocchi.
Tips for Making the Best Pesto Gnocchi
- Be sure not to overcook the gnocchi as it can go soggy if it's left too long in boiling water.
- This recipe is super flexible. You can make it with any fresh veggies you have on hand. Other alternatives which would work well are corn, edamame beans, green beans, and asparagus.
How To Serve Super Green Gnocchi
This really is a one pot meal in itself. But a simple green salad dressed with lemon and olive oil always goes well with gnocchi.
Can You Reheat Gnocchi
It is best to serve gnocchi straight away. But you can store it in an airtight container overnight.
To reheat, place in a pan and warm gently over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until it is hot all the way through.
Pin This Super Green Gnocchi with Pea, Pesto & Broccoli Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
I'd love to know what you think about this recipe! I'd be so grateful if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a star rating and comment.
More Easy Recipe Ideas
Super Green Gnocchi with Pea, Pesto & Broccoli
- 16 oz Gnocchi - store bought is fine
- 1 tbsp Sea Salt
- ¼ cup Pesto - store bought or homemade
- 1 head Broccoli - chopped into florets
- ½ cup Peas
- ½ cup Grated Parmesan or Vegetarian Alternative - optional
- Bring a pan of water up to the boil. Add sea salt.
- Cook the gnocchi and broccoli together in the boiling salted water for around 3 minutes.
- Add the peas to the same pan and continue boiling for a further minute. The gnocchi will float to the top and look a little fluffy when it is ready.
- Drain all the contents of the pan in a colander and return the cooked gnocchi and vegetables to the pan. The pan does not need to go back on the heat.
- Carefully stir through the pesto and the cheese if using.
- And serve!