This tasty Avocado Tostada with fried egg is a lower carb version of classic avocado toast. With just 5 ingredients and ready in minutes, this Mexican style breakfast tostada will get your day off to a perfect start.
If your breakfast involves avocado your day is off to a good start, no doubt about it.
I keep a collection of non cereal breakfast ideas which my kids will actually eat and this is near the top of the list. Just 5 ingredients and ready in minutes - perfect for a healthy start to the day.
As if avocado wasn’t already green enough the peas add a lovely vibrancy here and definitely keep you fuller for longer. They’re a great source of fiber too.
Why you'll love this Avocado Tostada with Fried Egg
Tostada makes a great lower carb alternative to regular bread.
This satisfying meal is packed full of good fat and protein and will keep you full for hours.
You don't have to serve these vegetarian tostadas at breakfast! They make a wonderful lunch or quick dinner too.
What you'll need to make these tasty Tostadas
Tortillas - I used small 6 inch wheat tortillas but corn tortillas are also great, and perfect for gluten free diners.
Peas - Frozen peas work well for this recipe and are super convenient. They add a different spin on regular avocado toast too.
Eggs - I always try to use organic and free range eggs wherever possible.
How to make Avocado Tostada with Fried Egg
Full printable recipe with measurements is in the recipe card below
First cook the peas in boiling water then drain.
Remove the avocado skin and stone then mash the avocado flesh with the drained peas, lime and a pinch of salt.
Toast the tortillas in a dry frying pan (no oil) for around 30 seconds each side. Keep warm in foil while you cook the eggs.
Fry the eggs in a non stick pan over a medium high heat. Use a little olive oil if you wish.
Load up the tortillas with the avocado pea mixture.
Carefully top each with fried egg.
What is Tostada?
Tostada means "toasted" and usually refers to any dish made from flat tortillas that are either oven toasted or fried until crispy.
How to eat a Tostada?
First of all don't overload it or it might break in two! Add your toppings then pick it up with two hands and eat it like a pizza. Yum!
Tips to Make This Easy Avocado Tostada for
- A great way to make a crispy tostada is to 'dry fry' it in a frying pan over a medium high heat with no oil. This is also much healthier too! Watch it carefully since it won't take long to toast!
- A potato masher is a useful tool to make the pea guacamole.
- If your tortillas are a few days old try brushing them with water before warming. It will help bring them back to life.
- Seasoning is key when making guacamole! Don’t over season but try to taste as you go along to make sure you add enough salt.
What to serve with Avocado Tostadas with Fried Egg
This recipe makes a delicious meal at any time of the day and would go perfectly with some black beans, some creamy refried beans or rice.
You could add also cherry tomatoes, red onion, green onions or any of your other favorite toppings.
To ramp up the protein and turn this into cheesy guacamole tostadas you could also add some queso fresco or cotija cheese.
If you like heat feel free to add some hot sauce or a spinkling of chili powder too - or some sour cream to cool things down.
Pin This Avocado Tostada with Fried Egg Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
I'd love to know what you think about this recipe! I'd be so grateful if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a star rating and comment.
More Easy Recipe Ideas
Avocado Tostada with Fried Egg
- 4 Small Tortillas
- 1 cup Peas - I used frozen
- 2 Avocados - ripe!
- 1 tsp Lime Juice
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil - optional for frying
- Sea Salt - to taste
- Cook the peas in boiling water over a medium heat then drain. This should only take a couple of minutes in salted boiling water.
- Remove the avocado skin and stone then mash the avocado flesh with the drained peas, lemon and salt
- Toast your tortillas in a dry frying pan (no oil) for around 30 seconds each side. Keep warm in foil while you cook the eggs.
- Meanwhile fry the eggs in a non stick pan over a medium heat. Use a little olive oil if you wish.
- Schmear the tortillas with the avocado pea mixture.
- Carefully top each with fried egg. Season. Reach for hot sauce if desired. Enjoy!
This recipe was shared with the #cookblogshare community, which this week was kindly hosted by Helen at Family-Friends-Food.com