Baked Feta Pasta is a super simple hands off dish made from just 5 ingredients! Feta is roasted in the oven with cherry tomatoes to create an unbelievably good creamy tomato sauce. It's easy to see why this recipe went viral. If you haven't tried it yet read on to see what all the fuss is about!
If you've ever wondered if the recipe for baked feta pasta with tomatoes that broke the internet is worth trying - the answer is a huge YES.
I'm not usually into food trends - but I do love the timeless mediterranean flavors of feta and cherry tomatoes which are used here.
We were so surprised by how easy this is and just how good it tastes.
If you experimented to concoct a complex sauce which is as creamy, tangy and sweet as this naturally is, you'd fail!
This recipe originally came from a genius blogger in Finland called @liemessa where it was called Uunifetapasta. The fact that the country ran out of Feta after it blew up on TikTok tells you everything you need to know about just how good this is!
The method and ingredients in this version are slightly simplified, to make it as easy as possible for a busy weeknight dinner.
Why You Should Try Baked Feta Pasta
- 5 ingredients. Family friendly. No chopping. Done in just over 30 minutes. Need I say more?!
- These classic flavors really benefit from being roasted together in the oven. Everything intensifies - the tomatoes become sweeter and the feta gets creamier.
- It's completely hand off - meaning the oven does the hard work.
How To Make Baked Feta Pasta
Step by Step Video
A full printable recipe card is below with measurements.
This really couldn't be more simple. Pre-heat the oven to 400ºF/200ºC. Toss the cherry tomatoes in ¼ cup of olive oil and season. Nestle the feta cheese in the middle of the tomatoes and turn to coat it in the oil.
Roast the feta and tomatoes in the oven for around 30 minutes or until the cheese is melty and the tomatoes are starting to burst open.
While the feta and tomatoes are baking, cook the pasta until al dente in boiling salted water. Drain and reserve some pasta water to loosen the sauce.
Remove the feta and tomatoes from the oven and stir to combine. Add the pasta and carefully toss everything together, using a small amount of reserved pasta water if needed. Scatter with basil and serve immediately.
There are so many variations you could try here! If you double the tomatoes and cut them in half the recipe would become even more saucy.
You could also add thinly sliced red onions or red peppers.
Olives would add more of a briney vibe. Red pepper flakes would give a nice bit of heat.
If you'd like to make it gluten free - just use gluten free pasta.
Tips For Making the best Baked Feta Pasta
- Make sure you use the full quarter cup of olive oil. It helps create that sauce and adds to the delicious flavor. Plus olive oil really is so good for you.
- Watch the salt content. Feta is already salty so taste as you go.
Frequently asked Questions
Can I use feta crumbles?
Not in this case. It's essential to roast the whole block of cheese as this is what makes the sauce so creamy. If you try to roast broken up bits of cheese it will dry out in the oven.
Do I have to use Cherry Tomatoes?
Cherry tomatoes do work really well here since they get so sweet when roasted. Grape tomatoes would also be great. In a pinch you could use cut up plum tomatoes but cherry tomatoes will give the best flavor.
Could I use a different cheese if I don't like feta?
If you don't like feta you could substitute it with a different soft cheese.
It works with a goat cheese log and a soft and creamy brie. Both are delicious.
If you are looking for a more mild alternative to baked feta you could use mozzarella.
Just use the same weight of the alternative cheese and follow the instructions.
What is the best pasta to use for Baked Feta Pasta?
I used Campanelle pasta. Honestly any pasta is fine - but I would use something tubed or with edges to hold in the delicious sauce! Penne or farfalle would both be great.
How long does Baked Feta Pasta keep?
This saucy pasta is best served immediately. If you do keep it, store in an airtight container and reheat in a saucepan on a low heat, stirring until hot.
How To Serve Baked Feta Pasta
This dish goes well with a simple dressed salad. Don't forget bread for mopping up those amazing juices too.
If you're a parmesan fan you could absolutely add a sprinkling over the top of the finished dish.
Pin This Baked Feta Pasta Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
Scroll to the comments section and let me know what you think about the recipe. Did you try it? Did you adapt it? Did you love it?
More Easy Recipe Ideas
Baked Feta Pasta
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 8 ounces Feta Cheese - 1 Block
- 2 pints Cherry Tomatoes
- 10 oz Campanelle Pasta - Or any pasta of your choice
- ¼ cup Basil - Chopped, plus more for serving
- 1 pinch Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF/200ºC. Place the cherry tomatoes in a 9x13 inch oven safe baking dish.
- Add the olive oil, salt and pepper and toss until well combined.
- Place the block of feta in the middle of the tomatoes. Flip it over to make sure its coated in oil.
- Roast in the oven for around 30 minutes - until the feta is melty and tomatoes are starting to burst.
- While the feta and tomatoes are roasting, cook the pasta according to packet instructions in salty water until al dente.
- Drain and reserve ½ cup pasta cooking water in case you want to use this in the sauce.
- Remove the feta and tomatoes from the oven. Stir them gently to combine.
- Add the drained pasta and toss in the sauce, making sure it's nicely coated. Slowly add in some extra pasta cooking water if needed, to loosen the mixture.
- Scatter with basil and serve immediately.