This Creamy Mushroom Noodle Soup is loaded with umami flavor, plenty of veggies and filling noodles. Exactly the kind of comforting one pot dinner your family with love and you will make over and over again.
This mushroom soup recipe has it all and takes just 10 minutes of actual hands on prep. Then you just leave it to simmer, allowing all the flavors to develop.
You'll find the depth of flavor is really developed in this cream of mushroom soup recipe. Garlic, fresh thyme and mushrooms are all added before a splash of brandy is used to deglaze the pot.
The noodles are added to the soup and cooked to al dente then the whole dish is finished with some heavy cream and a garnish of freshly chopped parsley. This is honestly one deeply delicious bowl of mushroom soup.
- Why You'll Love This Creamy Mushroom Soup Recipe
- Mushroom Noodle Soup Ingredients
- How to Make This Creamy Soup - Step-By-Step
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Variations & Substitutions for Mushroom Soup and Noodles
- Tips & Tricks For Making Mushroom Noodle Soup
- Pin This Creamy Mushroom Noodle Soup Recipe For Later
- What Do You Think?!
- More Easy Soup Recipe Ideas
- Printable Recipe
- Creamy Mushroom Noodle Soup
- Reader Comments & Ratings
Why You'll Love This Creamy Mushroom Soup Recipe
- Hearty and healthy bowls of soup are a great way of packing veggies into our daily diets.
- Leftover soup makes a great lunch option the next day. Heat it up and pack it into a thermos for an easy lunch on the go.
- Everything is cooked in one pot which saves time doing dishes.
- Feeding a crowd? No, problem this soup can be easily doubled up if serving a large number of diners.
- Love hearty soups? Try these...
Mushroom Noodle Soup Ingredients
Find the full list and quantities in the recipe below.
Vegetables - I use onion, garlic, celery and carrot to form the base flavors in this soup, along with the mushroom. However, you can add in any other vegetables that you enjoy eating, for example green beans or asparagus.
Mushrooms - I've used cremini mushrooms, but you could also use shiitake mushrooms, baby bella mushrooms or a mix of mushrooms. You could also even add some dried porcini or oyster mushrooms to further develop the savory flavors.
Brandy - This is my secret ingredient in this soup and it just adds an incredible flavor. As an alternative if you happen to have them in the house dry sherry or madeira also go nicely with mushrooms. The use of alcohol is entirely optional of course.
Broth - I've used vegetable broth in this creamy mushroom soup, but you can use chicken broth provided you are not serving to vegetarian diners. If serving the soup to celiacs or gluten free diners, use a gluten free stock or broth.
Noodles - I've used a wide, flat egg noodles, but you could also use a thinner egg noodle too.
Cream - Heavy cream adds the right luxury texture to this soup, you can use half and half if you want to lighten things up a little.
How to Make This Creamy Soup - Step-By-Step
Find the full printable recipe below.
Sauté the diced onion, celery and carrots until soft in a heavy bottomed pan. This should take around 10 minutes.
Season well then add sliced mushrooms and sauté for a further 10 minutes. The mushrooms will turn dark which ensures a good savory umami flavor.
Stir in minced garlic and add brandy if using or water. Deglaze the pan by stirring and scraping up any bits left in the bottom of the pot.
Add vegetable stock and simmer for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to come together. Then add the noodles and simmer until al dente.
Finish by stirring through heavy cream, garnish with chopped parsley and serve hot!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Make Vegan Mushroom Noodle Soup?
To make a dairy free version of this mushroom noodle soup, swap the heavy cream for a vegan cream alternative or use coconut milk.
Can I Add Chicken to Make Chicken Noodle Soup?
Yes, you can easily add some chicken to this soup recipe. Either dice some fresh chicken and sauté it along with the vegetables. Alternatively use some leftover roast chicken or rotisserie chicken, shredding it up and adding it to the soup to warm through before serving.
Can I Use Chinese Noodles in Mushroom Noodle Soup?
Yes, absolutely. Chinese egg noodles would be a great alternative to egg pasta noodles.
Variations & Substitutions for Mushroom Soup and Noodles
- If you need to avoid dairy you could definitely use full-fat coconut milk or a vegan double cream alternative.
- You could add any other earthy fresh herbs like rosemary or sage and bay leaves.
- Using half mushroom broth, if you can find it, would also build great flavor.
Tips & Tricks For Making Mushroom Noodle Soup
- Want to make this even faster? Use ready chopped onion, carrot and celery mix. You can also use ready sliced mushrooms in a pinch.
- Proper seasoning makes a real difference to the finished soup. So always check the soup for seasoning just before serving and adjust if necessary.
- The noodles are best served al dente, so if making this soup up ahead of time leave out the noodles and only add when you are re-heating and ready to serve. This stops the noodles from overcooking.
- If you like a thinner broth free to add some extra vegetable stock during cooking.
How To Serve Mushroom Soup and Noodles
This is a filling and hearty bowl of soup - a genuine meal in one pot. I keep any extra sides simple. Some biscuits, garlic bread or crusty bread are ideal to mop up the soup.
How To Reheat Cream of Mushroom Soup?
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator and use within 2-3 days. To re-heat place in a saucepan and place over a medium heat to warm until piping hot. Just take care not to overcook or the noodles will become soggy.
Can you freeze Mushroom Noodle Soup?
Yes, this soup can be frozen up to the point where you add the noodles and the heavy cream (point 6 in the recipe card). Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Don't be tempted the freeze the noodles with the soup, as they will break down and overcook during the defrosting and reheating process.
When ready to enjoy, remove the soup from the freezer and defrost overnight in the refrigerator. When ready to enjoy, heat up the soup and add and cook the noodles to al dente. Finish with the heavy cream and a garnish of freshly chopped parley before serving.
Pin This Creamy Mushroom Noodle Soup Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
I'd love to know what you think about this recipe! I'd be so grateful if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a star rating and comment.
Don't forget to go over to Facebook and Instagram and make sure you're following me so you can join in the chat. And remember to save this recipe to your Pinterest too!
More Easy Soup Recipe Ideas
Creamy Mushroom Noodle Soup
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion - diced
- 2 medium Carrots - diced
- 2 ribs Celery - diced
- 4 cups Cremini Mushrooms - sliced
- 3 cloves Garlic - minced
- 2 tbsp Brandy - optional or use water
- 6 cups Vegetable Broth
- 5 sprigs Thyme
- 10 oz Wide Egg Noodles
- 1 cup Heavy Cream (Double Cream)
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Chopped Parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy bottomed saucepan with a lid over a medium low heat.
- Sauté the diced onion, celery and carrots until soft. This should take around 10 minutes.
- Season well with sea salt and black pepper and add the sliced mushrooms.
- Sauté for a further 10 minutes over a medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. The mushrooms should be turning dark - this will ensure a good savory umami flavor for the soup.
- Stir in the minced garlic and add the brandy if using or water. Stir and scrape up any bits left in the bottom of the pot.
- Add the vegetable stock and thyme sprigs then simmer for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to come together.
- Add the noodles and simmer as per packet directions until al dente.
- Taste and season again.
- Finish by stirring through the cream and garnish with the chopped parsley if using.
- Serve hot!
This is an incredible vegetarian soup! Even my meat-demanding husband agreed.
Jo Keohane says
Thanks so much for your comment LJ - I'm so glad your husband liked it! It's definitely full of flavor - and is one of my most popular recipes ever!!
Carolyn Shapiro says
I don’t normally make any kind of mushroom soup. However I decided to make this one and to my surpriseI enjoyed it….very, very good. My husband couldn’t compliment me enough for making “the most delicious soup”
Thank you for the recipe.
Jo Keohane says
you are so welcome! I'm so happy you enjoyed it.