Easy Instant Pot Chicken & Noodles is a perfect update to a classic weeknight meal. Tender pieces of shredded chicken plus noodles and veggies are simply cooked in a rich, tasty sauce in an electric pressure cooker. Instructions are also given for stove top, slow cooker and oven cooking too.
Once tried, this best chicken noodle soup will be made on repeat for the whole family.
Shredded chicken is served with noodles, veggies and a rich broth. Using the Instant Pot, this easy comfort food can be made with minimal effort in a fraction of the time it would take you on the stove.
Electric pressure cooker chicken is also easy on the wallet. It requires far less energy than turning on the stove or oven. However, later in the post, I have included instructions for stove top, slow cooker and oven cooking options in case you do not own an Instant Pot or similar machine.
As the weather starts to turn a little colder, I don't think you can beat a bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup. On those freezing days this easy meal warms you from the inside out.
- Why You'll Love This Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken & Noodles Ingredients
- How to Make Chicken & Noodles - Step-By-Step for this easy recipe
- How to Make Stovetop Chicken & Noodles
- How to Make Chicken & Noodle Casserole In The Oven
- How to Make Slow Cooker/Crock Pot Chicken & Noodles
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Variations & Substitutions for Instant Pot Chicken & Noodles
- Tips & Tricks For Making Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Pin This Instant Pot Chicken & Noodles For Later
- What Do You Think?!
- More Easy Dinner Recipe Ideas
- Printable Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken & Noodles
- Reader Comments & Ratings
Why You'll Love This Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- This flavorful meal tastes amazing and by using a pressure cooker, can be prepared, cooked and on the table in 50 minutes.
- A great way of packing those veggies into our diets, feel free to adapt and add the vegetables you and your family enjoy eating.
- Everything is cooked in one pot which cuts down on the washing up.
- Leftovers make a great lunch the next day, heat up and pack in a thermos for lunch on the go.
- I love cooking in my Instant Pot, it really cuts down on time. If you do too, try these other great Instant Pot recipes:
Chicken & Noodles Ingredients
Find the full list and quantities in the recipe below.
Chicken - skinless chicken thighs are my preferred option as they stay moist and juicy, giving you that all important tender chicken "pulled" finish that you want in a soup.
I have used boneless and skinless thighs, but you could also use bone-in skin-on thighs, chicken legs, drumsticks or a mixture.
If using boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut back a little on the cooking time to stop the chicken drying out. You could also use a cut up a whole chicken to use.
Noodles/Pasta - I have used thick egg noodles as they keep their shape and don't break down when cooked.
You can use any other similar variety of noodle or pasta shape. If making a gluten free chicken noodle soup, ensure you use gluten free noodles.
Stock - I used fresh chicken broth, however, chicken or veggie stock cubes or bouillon work perfectly well too. You could also swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth. If serving to celiacs or gluten free diners, ensure you use gluten free stock or broth.
Vegetables - onion, celery, carrots and garlic form the base of this soup to build depth of flavor. When I'm pushed for time I buy the ready chopped onion, celery and carrot mix from the store, which makes this recipe even faster. You can add in other vegetables that your family enjoy eating.
Fresh Herbs: I use bay leaves and sprigs of thyme to flavor the dish, then add a garnish of fresh parsley just before serving.
Seasonings - sea salt and black pepper season this homemade chicken and noodle soup. I season the chicken thighs before cooking, then check the seasoning again before serving and adjust as required.
How to Make Chicken & Noodles - Step-By-Step for this easy recipe
Find the full printable recipe card below.
Use the sauté setting on the instant pot to sear seasoned chicken thighs in butter. You may need to do this in two batches to prevent overcrowding.
Add the diced onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Stir until combined then sprinkle on the flour and stir again. If the flour is well mixed into the other ingredients it won't go lumpy when you add the broth.
Add the broth and water. Stir again then add the thyme, bay leaves and more seasoning.
Close the lid and cook on manual high pressure for 5 minutes. Once it has finished cooking let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes then release the remaining pressure via manual release.
Remove the bay leaf and chicken pieces. and set the Instant Pot to sauté again.
Once the liquid is boiling, carefully add the egg noodles and stir gently.
Cook until to al dente, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile shred the chicken with 2 forks then add back to the pot with chopped parsley before serving.
How to Make Stovetop Chicken & Noodles
The process for making this hearty meal on the stovetop is exactly the same. Just cover the pot with a lid and allow to simmer very gently on low for 1 hour 30 minutes.
How to Make Chicken & Noodle Casserole In The Oven
Again this recipe is easily adapted if you want to make this Chicken & Noodle Casserole in the Oven. I like to use my Dutch oven, but any lidded oven-proof pot will work.
Follow the recipe, ensuring you brown the chicken in the pot first as that will add extra flavor into the dish. When ready to cook, cover with the lid and place in the oven at 300ºF/150ºC for 2 hours.
How to Make Slow Cooker/Crock Pot Chicken & Noodles
To make Slow Cooker/Crockpot Chicken & Noodles, I would again suggest browning the chicken first. Then finish the recipe, cover with a lid and cook on low for 6 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
What exactly is an instant pot?
Instant Pot is the brand name for a multi-cooker that has many functions and settings, including sauté, pressure cooking (like in this recipe here), steaming, rice cooker, warming and slow cooking functions. There are other brands of multi-cooker available.
Can I use frozen chicken?
Yes, you can cook chicken from frozen, however you will need to increase the cooking time by at least 50%.
I don't use frozen chicken, I prefer to use fresh chicken thighs as that allows me to sauté the chicken first and build flavor into the soup.
If I don't have chicken or vegetable broth can I use water?
Yes, you can swap chicken or vegetable broth in most soups, stews and casseroles.
However, just be aware that it will affect the flavor of the finished dish. If using cups of water I strongly recommend not skipping the part of the recipe where you sear the chicken first as that does build flavor into the dish.
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes, this soup can be cooked up to the point where you add the noodles (step 9 in the recipe card). Remove the bay leaves and shred the chicken, returning the chicken to the soup. Then store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
It's important not to freeze the noodles with the soup, as they will break down and overcook during the defrosting and reheating process.
When ready to enjoy, remove the soup from the freezer and allow the soup to defrost overnight in the refrigerator. When ready to enjoy, add the noodles to the soup and reheat over a medium heat until piping hot.
Variations & Substitutions for Instant Pot Chicken & Noodles
Make a gluten free chicken & noodle soup by using gluten free stock/stock cubes and use a gluten free noodle. Also omit the all purpose flour and instead thicken the soup at the end of the cook by combining some of the chicken soup with corn starch and returning it to the pot.
If you have some white wine open feel free to add splash or two to build flavor after you have seared the chicken and veggies.
This soup recipe is easily adapted to make a vegetarian noodle soup. Replace the chicken with sweet potato, butternut squash, cauliflower, green beans, or a combination of your favorite veggies and use vegetable broth instead of chicken.
Finally if you love a rich and creamy chicken soup feel free to add a splash or two of heavy cream right at the end.
Tips & Tricks For Making Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Searing the chicken is optional, but it does build great flavor into the soup. If you're in a rush feel free to skip step 3 carry on to step 4.
- Take time to ensure that the flour is well mixed into the other ingredients, this stops it becoming lumpy when you add the broth.
- Removing the chicken from the pot and then using the sauté button to cook the noodles is a great way to get maximum benefit from your instant pot. You can boil the noodles in the soupy sauce and not overcook the chicken.
- Take time to season the chicken thighs at the beginning of the cook and also taste the soup and adjust the seasoning before serving. Proper seasoning makes all the difference to the finished soup.
How To Serve Instapot Chicken & Noodles
What I love best about these types of dishes is that they are an entire meal in in one pot. Some biscuits or crusty bread to help mop that soup is also a great bet.
How To Reheat the Leftover Soup
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator and use within 2-3 days. To re-heat place in a saucepan and place over a medium heat to warm to piping hot.
Pin This Instant Pot Chicken & Noodles For Later
What Do You Think?!
I'd love to know what you think about this recipe! I'd be so grateful if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a star rating and comment.
This post was shared with the #cookblogshare community, which this week was kindly hosted by Rebecca at Gluterama.com
More Easy Dinner Recipe Ideas
Instant Pot Chicken & Noodles
- 8 Chicken Thighs - boneless and skinless
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 large Onion - diced
- 2 ribs Celery - diced
- 2 medium Carrots - peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic - peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp All-Purpose Flour (Plain Flour) - Plain Flour - gluten free blend if required
- 4 cups Chicken Stock - or vegetable stock/bouillon
- 2 cups Water
- 5 sprigs Thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 12 oz Noodles - wide egg type
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Chopped Parsley - to serve
- Switch on the Instant Pot and select the sauté setting.
- Season the chicken thighs well with sea salt and pepper. Add the butter to the pot.
- Add the seasoned chicken and sear until the outside of the chicken in golden brown. You may need to do this in 2 batches so you don't crowd the pan.Note - this searing stage is optional but it does build great flavor. If you're in a rush, skip to the next step.
- Add the diced onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Stir until combined.
- Sprinkle on the flour and stir again. Note - If the flour is well mixed into the other ingredients it won't go lumpy when you add the broth.
- Add the broth and water. Stir again.
- Add the thyme and bay leaves.
- Season again and close the lid.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 5 minutes. Once it has finished cooking let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes then release the remaining pressure via manual release.
- Remove the bay leaf and chicken pieces.
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté again. When the liquid is boiling, carefully add the egg noodles and stir gently. Cook for another 8 minutes (or per the packet instructions) uncovered, or until noodles are cooked to al dente, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- Add the chicken back to the pot and gently stir into the noodles.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.