Recipes don't get much easier than this delicious Creamy Pancetta & Mushroom Pasta. The whole family will love this comforting dinner, which can be made in just 30 minutes.
It's great to have a set of go-to recipes when you need to get dinner on the table fast. This simple pasta dish definitely falls into that category.
In this easy pasta dish, pancetta (diced bacon works great too), diced onions and mushroom are sautéed in the same pan to bring out their umami flavor. Then pasta is mixed in with a creamy cheesy sauce. Midweek bliss!
Penne pasta was my pasta of choice for this creamy mushroom and pancetta sauce, since that's what I had in my cupboard. But you can use any variety of pasta that you have in your kitchen.
Why You Should Make This Pancetta & Mushroom Pasta
- Prepared and on the table in 30 minutes, this pasta dish is the perfect mid week dinner.
- This recipe is super versatile, so if there's an ingredient you don't like, simply swap it out for one you do.
- Cooking the bacon until the fat renders and then sautéing the onions and mushrooms in the same pan gives a great depth of flavor which forms the basis of this sauce.
- Creamy pasta recipes are always popular with kids! Anything that moves mine away from Mac and Cheese is fine by me 😉
- When it comes to quick and tasty pasta dishes I've got you covered. Try my Creamy Pancetta, Pea & Mint Pasta, my Smoked Salmon Creme Fraiche Pasta, Baked Feta Pasta, my Creamy Mushroom Pasta or my Easy Weeknight Spaghetti & Meatballs.
Creamy Pancetta & Mushroom Pasta Ingredients
Find the full list and quantities in the recipe below.
Pasta - use any shape of noodle in this dish. I have used penne, but use what you have in your own larder.
Pancetta - I have used a pack of diced pancetta, you can use smoked or unsmoked pancetta, but smoked does give the best flavor. If you can't find pancetta, cut up some bacon and use that instead.
Mushrooms - any variety of mushroom will work in this dish, or a mixture of different mushrooms if you prefer.
Onion - I have used a red onion for the base of the sauce, however, any variety of onion will work - yellow, white or green onions. Use what you have in your larder.
White Wine - any dry white wine will work here. However if you don't want to use alcohol, no problem - add a splash or two more stock instead.
Heavy Cream - heavy cream (double cream) adds a velvety texture to the pasta sauce but you can substitute with light cream or lower fat creme fraiche.
Parmesan - adds a salty, savory element. A good substitute would be with Pecorino or Grana Padano, which are both great tasting Italian cheeses.
How to Make Bacon & Mushroom Pasta
Find the full printable recipe below.
Cook the pasta according to packet instructions then drain and set aside.
While the pasta is cooking, cook the pancetta in a large skillet until the fat renders.
Saute the red onion in the same pan then add and cook sliced mushrooms.
Add the garlic then white wine. Allow the wine to reduce then add the stock.
Allow the sauce to simmer for 5 minutes before stirring in the cream and parmesan.
Add the cooked pasta to the skillet.
Serve with more grated parmesan and fresh parsley once the pasta has reheated in the sauce.
What is the best pasta to use for creamy sauces?
Traditionally a wider noodle is served with creamy sauces. Something like tagliatelle or pappardelle have plenty of width for the sauce to stick to. And they are great for mopping up a creamy pasta sauces.
I have used penne pasta noodles in this recipe purely because it's what I happened to have in my pantry. However, you could also use fusilli or farfalle.
What can I use instead of Pancetta?
Smoked bacon is the best substitute for pancetta. Make sure to use the streaky kind with lots of fat content rather than Canadian or British style back bacon.
Simply cut into squares and cook until the fat renders and the bacon crisps.
If you don't eat pork, a smoked turkey bacon will work too.
Variations of Skillet Bacon Pasta
- Use any shape of pasta that your family enjoy eating (or whatever you happen to have in your kitchen).
- To make this dish gluten free, simply substitute with your favorite gluten free pasta.
- For a vegetarian alternative, replace the pancetta with some sundried tomatoes, the chicken stock with some vegetable stock, and the Parmesan cheese with a suitable vegetarian alternative.
- If you like this recipe why not try my Creamy Mushroom Pasta, a simple and delicious vegetarian pasta option.
Tips For Making Pancetta & Mushroom Pasta
- This is not a great make ahead dish as the pasta can overcook when being reheated. It is definitely best eaten fresh.
- Take care when seasoning the pasta sauce as the pancetta will be a little salty. I always taste as I go along, that way I avoid over salting.
- When cooking pasta, always hold back a cup of the cooking water. This is ideal to add in slow increments to the finished sauce if it's looking a little thick.
How To Serve Pancetta & Mushroom Pasta
This pasta dish is a meal on its own, rich and filling with veggies already in the mix. If you want to add a side I would keep it simple - a dressed green salad would be ideal.
Pin This Easy Creamy Pancetta & Mushroom Pasta Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
I'd love to know what you think about this recipe! I'd be so grateful if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a star rating and comment.
More Under 30 Minute Meal Recipe Ideas
Easy Creamy Pancetta & Mushroom Pasta
- 12 oz Pasta
- 4 oz Diced Pancetta - or 4 strips of bacon cut up small
- ½ Red Onion - finely chopped
- 8 oz Mushrooms - sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic - minced
- ½ cup White Wine - optional
- ½ cup Chicken Stock - or vegetable stock
- ½ cup Heavy Cream (Double Cream)
- ½ cup Grated Parmesan - plus more for serving
- 1 tbsp Chopped Parsley - optional garnish
- 12 oz PastaCook the pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
- 4 oz Diced PancettaMeanwhile in a large skillet cook the pancetta or bacon until the fat renders
- ½ Red OnionAdd the red onion and sauté until soft over a medium-low heat - around 5-10 minutes.
- 8 oz MushroomsAdd the sliced mushrooms and cook until their color deepens- around 5 minutes.
- 2 cloves Garlic | ½ cup White WineStir in the garlic. then add the white wine and let it bubble for a minute or two.
- ½ cup Chicken StockAdd the stock then allow the sauce to simmer for 5 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- ½ cup Heavy Cream (Double Cream) | ½ cup Grated ParmesanFinish the sauce by adding the cream and Parmesan and gently stirring well.
- 12 oz PastaToss through the pasta and stir gently to reheat.
- 1 tbsp Chopped ParsleyServe with more freshly grated Parmesan and chopped parsley if you like.
This post was shared with the #cookblogshare community, which this week was kindly hosted by Kate at Gluten Free Alchemist.