If you're taco fan you have to try this Creamy Beef Taco Soup. Spiced ground beef, nutritious veggies and black beans cooked in a creamy tomato broth makes a perfect meal in a bowl. Serve with all your favorite toppings for an instant mealtime hit!
This delicious creamy taco soup recipe is my favorite taco soup recipe, perfect for weeknight dinners as it can be made ahead.
The best thing about taco soup with beans, is that you can add all your favorite taco toppings which the whole family will love.
This is also a great low carb dinner option and if you use gluten free broth and tortilla chips, it's gluten free too.
I've made this soup on the stove top, but I also include instructions for cooking Beef Taco Soup in the Instant Pot and Crockpot later in the post.
- Why You'll Love My Favorite Taco Soup Recipe
- Creamy Beef Taco Soup Ingredients
- How to Make Creamy Beef Taco Soup - Step-By-Step
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Variations & Substitutions for Easy Creamy Taco Soup
- Tips & Tricks For Making This Creamy Beef Taco Soup Recipe
- Pin This Creamy Beef Taco Soup Recipe For Later
- What Do You Think?!
- More Easy Soup Recipe Ideas
- Printable Recipe
- Creamy Beef Taco Soup
- Reader Comments & Ratings
Why You'll Love My Favorite Taco Soup Recipe
- Full of lean ground beef, veggies and packed with nutritious beans, this hearty soup is healthy with no compromise on taste.
- This is a great one pot dish, which saves on the washing up.
- Leftover Beef Taco soup can be heated up and packed into a thermos the next day for an easy lunch on the go.
- Double or treble this recipe and it's a great way to feed a crowd.
- Enjoy a hearty bowl of soup, try out these other soup recipes:
Creamy Beef Taco Soup Ingredients
Find the full list and quantities in the recipe below.
Ground Beef - I recommend using a lean ground beef, rather than one with a higher fat content which will make the soup too greasy.
Broth - I've used beef broth, but chicken or vegetable broth would work as a base in this soup too.
Veggies - I've gone for a combination of onion, red bell pepper, canned tomatoes and corn to go along with the black beans. However, you can add in other vegetables that you enjoy - eg. carrot, zucchini and sliced green beans.
Seasonings - Along with salt and black pepper, I've added ground cumin and chili powder. You could also add some smoked paprika, ground coriander or red pepper flakes.
Cream - I added heavy cream (or double cream in the UK) but you could add half and half (or single cream) for a less rich soup. You could coconut milk for a dairy free alternative or leave the cream out altogether if you prefer a more broth-like soup.
Toppings - you can get as creative as you like with the toppings. I've suggested fresh cilantro, diced avocado, cheddar cheese, crushed tortilla chips, sliced jalapeno peppers, hot sauce and a wedge of lime to serve alongside.
How to Make Creamy Beef Taco Soup - Step-By-Step
Find the full printable recipe card below.
Sauté ground beef and finely chopped onion in olive oil over a medium high heat in a large pot or Dutch oven. Season well and stir to break up the meat.
Once well browned, add the diced bell pepper and garlic and cook for a minute longer then drain any excess fat from the pan.
Stir in the diced tomatoes, ground cumin, chili powder and broth then add the corn and cooked black beans. Season again with sea salt and black pepper.
Cover and simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Take off the lid and stir through the cream and chopped cilantro (if using). Taste and season again if needed.
Serve with all your favorite toppings such as chopped avocado, shredded cheese, lime wedges, tortilla chips and sliced chilis.
How To Make Instant Pot Taco Soup with Beans
Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode. Then add the olive oil and sauté the ground beef. Continue following the recipe, adding the remaining ingredients up to the end of step 7 in the recipe card.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot and cook at high pressure for 10 minutes on manual and then 10 minutes natural release.
When ready to serve, stir through the cream and chopped cilantro, then check the soup for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
How to Make Beef Taco Soup in the Crockpot or Slow Cooker
To make this soup in the slow cooker, follow the recipe up to the end of step 5 in the recipe card and then place the sautéed beef mixture into the crockpot.
Now add the diced tomatoes, spices and broth, corn, cooked black beans, salt and pepper to the pot, cover with a lid and cook on low for 4 hours.
When ready to serve stir through the cream and chopped cilantro, then check the soup for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between tortilla soup and taco soup?
Tortilla soup is a thinner tomato broth based soup. Whereas, taco soup is a thicker, heartier soup that usually includes both meat and beans.
Is taco soup authentically Mexican?
Taco soup is not authentically Mexican, it's closer to Tex-Mex as it originated in the South West US in the 1950's. However, the flavors are authentic Mexican flavors.
Variations & Substitutions for Easy Creamy Taco Soup
Swap the black beans for any other variety of cooked bean, eg. kidney beans, pinto beans or navy beans.
I've used ground beef, but this recipe would work with ground chicken or ground turkey. Ground pork also adds a delicious flavor.
This soup is also just as yummy without the meat if you're cooking for vegetarians. Add extra bell peppers, diced zucchini or eggplant. You could also stir through some greens. And green onions make a great topping.
Add in more spices and or heat if you like it. Try ground coriander, smoked paprika, you can even add homemade taco seasoning.
Tips & Tricks For Making This Creamy Beef Taco Soup Recipe
If serving to celiacs or anyone following a gluten free diet, use gluten free stock and also ensure the tortilla chips you are serving are gluten free too.
Like many soups, this soup will actually taste better the next day as the flavors will have had a chance to intensify.
As it sits this soup will thicken up becuase it contains beans - so you may find you have to add an extra splash or two of broth or water to it when you warm it up.
Be sure to season this soup well. Beans can take quite a lot of salt - but season and taste as you go along so you avoid over-salting.
How To Serve Creamy Beef Taco Soup
This is a filling bowl of soup that makes a great lunch or light dinner option. I like to serve the soup with some optional toppings like fresh cilantro, diced avocado, cheddar cheese, crushed tortilla chips, sliced jalapeno peppers, hot sauce and a lime wedge to serve alongside.
Serve the optional toppings in small bowls alongside the soup, that way everyone can top their bowl of soup just how they like it.
I always serve a wedge of lime alongside, as a squeeze of lime really brightens up this soup.
How To Reheat Creamy Beef Taco Soup?
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator and use within 3-4 days. To re-heat place the soup in a saucepan and place over a medium heat to warm to piping hot.
How to Freeze Creamy Beef Taco Soup?
Once cooked and cooled, store this soup in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, remove the soup from the freezer and defrost in the refrigerator.
Pin This Creamy Beef Taco Soup Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
I'd love to know what you think about this recipe! I'd be so grateful if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a star rating and comment.
More Easy Soup Recipe Ideas
Creamy Beef Taco Soup
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 lb Ground Beef - lean
- 1 medium Onion - yellow, finely chopped
- 1 large Red Bell Pepper - seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic - peeled, minced or finely grated
- 14½ oz Canned Diced Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 cups Beef Broth - or vegetable broth
- 1 cup Corn - fresh, frozen or canned is fine
- 1 cup Cooked Black Beans
- ½ cup Heavy Cream (Double Cream)
- ¼ cup Fresh Cilantro (Coriander) - optional, chopped
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Fresh Cilantro (Coriander)
- Avocado - diced
- Cheddar Cheese - shredded
- Tortilla Chips - gluten free if required
- Jalapeno Peppers - sliced
- Hot Sauce
- Lime - cut into wedges
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over a medium high heat.
- Add the ground beef and finely chopped onion to the pan and season well with sea salt and pepper.
- Sauté until well browned, stirring occasionally to crumble the meat.
- Add the diced bell pepper and garlic and cook for a minute longer, stirring so it doesn't catch on the bottom of the pan.
- Drain any excess fat from the beef mixture.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, ground cumin, chili powder and broth.
- Add the corn and cooked black beans then season again with sea salt and black pepper.
- Cover with a lid and simmer on low for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Take off lid and stir through the cream and chopped cilantro (if using).
- Taste and season again if needed.
- Serve with all your favorite toppings.