Sheet pan honey chilli chicken is healthy, fast and so delicious. Juicy chicken breast pieces are cooked with a homemade honey chili chicken marinade to make this colorful stir fry style traybake that's packed full of flavor.
I like to make my own honey chili chicken marinade, that way I know what's going into the sauce. With no excess oil or salt and a low sugar content, this homemade version is much healthier than the version you find in Chinese restaurants.
If you have time I recommend marinating the chicken for 4 hours, as it will make a difference to the finished dish.
This chilli honey chicken recipe is baked then placed under the broiler/oven grill to give that golden brown finish without the oil.
Making honey and chili chicken in a sheet pan also means there is less to clean up than the stove top version. And you still get all the delicious flavour of a traditional stir fry.
- Why You'll Love This Honey Chilli Chicken Recipe
- Chilli Honey Chicken Ingredients
- How to Make Honey Chili Chicken - Step-By-Step
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Variations & Substitutions for Chili Honey Chicken
- Tips & Tricks For Making Honey Chili Chicken
- Pin This Healthy Honey Chili Chicken with Vegetables Recipe For Later
- What Do You Think?!
- More Easy Sheet Pan Recipe Ideas
- Printable Recipe
- Healthy Honey Chili Chicken with Vegetables
- Reader Comments & Ratings
Why You'll Love This Honey Chilli Chicken Recipe
- This healthy dinner is packed full of fresh ingredients that help towards your 5-a-day.
- Honey chili chicken is so easy! And the best thing is there is only one tray to wash up afterwards.
- This easy dinner is gluten free, so ideal for celiacs or anyone following a gluten free diet. Just make sure you use gluten free soy and chili sauces.
- If you're a fan of quick and easy sheet pan dinners then try my Mozzarella & Pesto Chicken, Caprese Chicken, my Easy Salmon & Veggies, Sausage, Squash & Leek Bake or my Chicken Fajita Sheet Pan Dinner.
Chilli Honey Chicken Ingredients
Find the full list and quantities in the recipe card below.
Chicken - I have used chicken fillets and cut them up into even sized pieces, so they will all cook at roughly the same time. You could swap breast meat for skinless and boneless chicken thighs. Also cut them into even sized pieces.
Sticky Honey - a runny honey mixture works best in the sauce. Another great refined sugar free option would be maple or agave syrup.
Chili Sauce - use any brand or strength of chili sauce that you enjoy eating. If serving to the kids I tend to use a milder sauce. You can then add fresh chili and a bottle of chili sauce to the table for anyone who wants to add a little extra chili heat.
Vegetables - I have used a combination of broccoli and bell peppers alongside the chicken. However, this is a versatile dish and you can use any vegetables that you and your family enjoy eating.
How to Make Honey Chili Chicken - Step-By-Step
Find the full printable recipe card below.
Preheat the oven and line a large sheet pan with parchment paper. This helps with easier clean up for this quick supper.
Whisk together all the marinade/sauce ingredients then pour half over the chicken pieces. Set aside the remaining sauce for later.
At this stage you can leave the chicken to marinate for up to 4 hours or continue with the recipe straight away.
Add the broccoli florets to the chicken and turn to coat everything in the sauce then spread it all out on the lined sheet pan in a single layer. This will help it to cook evenly.
Bake in the oven for 10 minutes turning the chicken once midway through cooking. Meanwhile light the broiler/grill and set to high.
Add the peppers to the part cooked chicken and broccoli again, making sure that everything is in a single layer.
Broil the chicken and veggies for 5-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and starting to go golden brown.
Remove from oven, drizzle over the remaining honey chilli sauce, scatter over the sliced scallions and sesame seeds (if using) and serve!
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the Chicken Need to Be Marinated?
Marinating the chicken will always intensify the flavor, but if you are pushed for time you can leave this step out. If you are prepping in advance you can leave the chicken in the marinade for up to 4 hours to further develop the flavor.
Is Honey Chili Chicken Deep Fried?
Honey Chili Chicken that you buy from in your local Chinese restaurant or takeaway is very often deep fried. In this honey chili chicken recipe, I have chosen to roast the chicken and veggies in the oven instead, thereby cutting down on the excess oil.
How do you Make Honey Chili Chicken Healthy?
Baking the chicken and veggies in the oven is a healthier method than deep frying the chicken as it cuts down on a lot of oil.
Making your own marinade/sauce is also a healthier option as you know exactly whats in the sauce. And there's no excess oil, sugar or salt.
For example, I have chosen to sweeten the sauce using honey which is an unrefined sugar and better for you than unrefined white sugar.
Variations & Substitutions for Chili Honey Chicken
This is a simple sheet pan recipe, that can be easily adapted to suit your own tastes. Here are some ideas:
Protein - swap the chicken breast for boneless chicken thigh instead. This recipe would also work well with pork tenderloin, just adapt the cooking times.
Veggies - mange tout, sugarsnap peas, asparagus, green beans, baby sweetcorn, carrots, red onion, mushrooms, zucchini would all work in this recipe too.
Leafy Greens - before serving add a handful of leafy greens like kale or spinach to the pan and allow the leaves to wilt in the pan juices.
Chili - if you like your food spicy add some fresh red chilli or red pepper flakes to the pan when cooking the chicken. Sweet chilli sauce would also be delicious here
Tips & Tricks For Making Honey Chili Chicken
- Take time to properly season the pieces of chicken, it really will make all the difference to the finished dish.
- This dish makes delicious cold leftovers for lunch the next day, enjoy in a salad or sandwich.
How To Serve Honey Chili Chicken
This is an entire meal in one sheet pan, so I keep the sides simple. I like to serve this stir fry with some steamed jasmine rice, or for an extra hit of flavor try my Coconut Rice with Lime.
A side of steamed leafy greens would work here too like my Easy Buttered Kale, which is cooked and ready to eat in 5 minutes.
How To Reheat Honey & Chili Chicken?
This is a dish best served fresh from the pan when the flavors are at their most vibrant. However, you can reheat the dish, just pop it back into a hot oven and warm it through, taking care not to overcook the chicken otherwise it will become dry.
How to Freeze Honey Chili Chicken?
Once cooked, allow to cool completely and place into an airtight container. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When ready to enjoy, defrost in the refrigerator then warm up in a hot oven. Just be aware that the vegetables won't be quite so crunchy once defrosted.
Pin This Healthy Honey Chili Chicken with Vegetables Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
I'd love to know what you think about this recipe! I'd be so grateful if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a star rating and comment.
More Easy Sheet Pan Recipe Ideas
Healthy Honey Chili Chicken with Vegetables
- 4 Chicken Breasts - cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 Bell Peppers
- 1 head Broccoli - cut into florets
For the Marinade/Sauce
- ¼ cup Honey
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil - e.g. avocado oil
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce - gluten free if required
- 1 tbsp Chili Sauce - e.g. sriracha
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 cloves Garlic - peeled and minced
To Garnish (Optional)
- 2 Scallions (Spring Onions) - sliced
- 1 Red Chili - thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
To Serve (Optional)
- Cooked Rice - try Coconut & Lime Rice
- Heat oven to 425ºF/210ºC and line a large sheet pan with parchment paper for easier clean up.
- Whisk together all the marinade/sauce ingredients in a small bowl until fully combined.
- Place the chicken pieces into a large bowl then pour half the sauce over the chicken pieces and stir to coat. Reserve the other half of the sauce for later.Note - There is no need to leave the chicken to marinate, but if you are prepping in advance you can leave the chicken in the marinade for up to 4 hours to further develop the flavor.
- Add the broccoli florets to the chicken and turn to coat in a little of the sauce.
- Spread the chicken pieces and broccoli florets out on the lined sheet pan. Make sure everything is spread out so it is in a single layer. This will help it to cook evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes turning the chicken once midway through cooking.
- Meanwhile light the broiler/grill and set to high.
- Add the peppers to the part cooked chicken and broccoli again making sure that everything is in a single layer.
- Broil the chicken and veggies for 5-10 minutes on a medium-high heat until the chicken is cooked through and starting to go golden brown.
- Remove from oven, drizzle over the remaining sauce, scatter over the sliced scallions and sesame seeds (if using) and serve!