You can't beat White Chocolate Rocky Road. Prepared in minutes, graham crackers, mini marshmallows, cranberries and pistachio nuts are stirred into rich melted white chocolate then refrigerated and cut into squares. Loved by kids and adults, once tried you'll make this easy no bake dessert on repeat.
My Ultimate Rocky Road is beyond simple to make. The hardest part of this easy recipe is waiting 2 hours while it sets in the fridge before you tuck in.
It has the perfect balance of sweet flavors with a slightly sweet & sour note from the cranberries, crunch from the pistachios and chew from the marshmallow.
Perfect for the holidays too, this Christmas rocky road is one of those recipes you can whip up in no time for visiting friends and family or a pot luck.
Why You Should Make This Easy Chocolate Rocky Road
- It is such a simple dessert to make, less baking; more melt and mix.
- If your kids love getting involved in the kitchen, rocky road is a great recipe. Ideal if they want to prepare something on their own with minimal help.
- Use Gluten Free Graham's Crackers or Digestive biscuits and you have the ideal dessert for coeliacs or anyone following a gluten free diet (also check the label on the chocolate and marshmallows).
- Rocky Road with white chocolate freezes really well so enjoy some now and freeze the rest for that Christmas party.
- You can make this easy white Chocolate Rocky Road into Christmas gifts over the festive season if you portion it up into cellophane bags.
- Planning some holiday baking? Try some of these other simple sweet treats. My Nut Free Christmas Rocky Road, my Fruity Yogurt Bites, Kit Kat Brownies or my Halloween Candy Bark (just swap the Halloween candy for some Christmas inspired candy instead).
What is Rocky Road?
Rocky road is a delicious no bake treat. It traditionally contains a mixture of nuts and marshmallows mixed into melted chocolate. It's then set in the refrigerator. Once chilled, it is cut into squares to resemble the chunks of a rocky road!
It started life in the UK and was called tiffin. The folks in Australia made it their own by adding the marshmallows and changed the name to rocky road. It is now known as rocky road in most parts of the world.
Is white Chocolate real chocolate?
White chocolate is not chocolate in the traditional sense as is does not contain the cocoa solids found in milk or dark chocolate. Instead white chocolate is made by blending together cocoa butter with sugar and milk solids.
White Rocky Road Ingredients
Find the full list and quantities in the recipe card below.
White Chocolate - Always use a good quality chocolate when baking. I use creamy white chocolate chips for ease but you could also use a block cut into small pieces.
I chose white chocolate for this recipe but when it comes to rocky road chocolate you can add any variety of chocolate that you enjoy eating. Milk, dark, white, flavored, the list is endless. Just ensure if making this recipe for coeliacs or anyone following a gluten free diet that you check the ingredients label first.
Graham Crackers/Digestive Biscuits - I used gluten free Graham crackers to make my White Chocolate Rocky Road, but you can use regular varieties too.
Want to add extra flavor? Use flavored cookie of your choice. Digestive biscuits are the closest thing to Graham crackers in the UK and are just as great to use for this recipe. Don't worry, they're a cookie, not a soft breakfast biscuit!
Dried Cranberries - a great tasting dried fruit that works well with the other flavors in this rocky road. However, feel free to experiment and use any dried fruit that you enjoy eating.
Pistachio Nuts - adds a great crunch to rocky road. But you can add any other variety of nut that you enjoy or leave them out altogether.
Mini Marshmallows - add a nice bit of chew in these sweet treats. If you can't find mini white marshmallows then simply cut up larger ones into smaller pieces.
However, check the ingredients label to ensure they are gluten free if needed.
How to this simple Rocky Road recipe
Find the full ingredient list and printable recipe card below.
In a heatproof bowl melt chocolate in the microwave or over a barely simmering saucepan of water (this is called a double boiler).
Meanwhile bash Gluten Free Graham Crackers or digestive crunchy biscuits into small pieces. Mix the cracker pieces, most the cranberries and all of the nuts and marshmallows into the melted chocolate then gently stir in.
Tip the mixture into the lined pan and spread it out to the edges. It doesn't matter if it is rough - it is rocky road! Sprinkle over the remaining cranberries.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours until set before cutting into pieces with a sharp knife and serving.
Variations of Rocky Road with White Chocolate
Making the ultimate rocky road could not be any easier as this recipe is super adaptable. For example, if you have a nut allergy remove the pistachio nuts and replace them with an alternative dried fruit.
Make this great dessert your own, here are some ideas to get you started:
- Chocolate: any flavor or variety of chocolate work in a rocky road
- Nuts: pistachios; pecans; hazelnuts; almonds; brazil nuts; macadamia nuts
- Dried Fruit: cranberries; apricots; sultanas; raisins; ginger; candied peel. Freeze-dried strawberries are also great in this recipe!
- Crackers/Cookies: Graham Crackers; digestive biscuits; ginger cookies; any other flavored cookie
Tips For Making White Rocky Road
Never get water in the melting chocolate - it will cause it to 'sieze' and you will have to start again with more chocolate.
Make sure you use a very sharp knife to cut the pieces - this is what gives the definition in the slices (AKA the pieces of road).
Since it's quite a sweet, as an option you could cut each piece in half again (making 32 pieces of rectangular rocky road.) This makes this delicious treat go further and also feels a bit more adult, perfect for finishing a meal.
When storing, layer the rocky road between sheets of grease-proof paper or kitchen towel to stop the pieces from sticking together.
How long can I keep rock road once cut?
Once cut into slices, store in an airtight container in the fridge. Rocky Road will keep for up to 2 weeks.
How to Freeze Rocky Road
Rocky Road is freezer friendly. If stored in an airtight container it will keep for up to 1 month. So make a double batch, enjoy some now and freeze the rest for an easy dessert over the holidays.
Pin This White Chocolate Rocky Road Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
I'd love to know what you think about this recipe! I'd be so grateful if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a star rating and comment.
More Easy Sweet Treat Ideas
White Chocolate Rocky Road
- 3 cups White Chocolate - chopped or chips
- Pinch Sea Salt
- 4 oz Gluten Free Graham Crackers or Digestive Biscuits - around 1½ cups when broken up
- 1 cup Dried Cranberries
- ¾ cup Pistachio Nuts - chopped
- 1½ cups Mini White Marshmallows
- Line a 9x9 inch pan with parchment paper.
- 3 cups White Chocolate | Pinch Sea SaltMelt the white chocolate along with a small pinch of salt either in the microwave on high stirring every 30 seconds until melted or in a bowl over a barely simmering saucepan with an inch of water in it.
- 4 oz Gluten Free Graham Crackers or Digestive BiscuitsMeanwhite, put the graham crackers/digestives into a freezer bag and break them into small sized pieces.
- 1 cup Dried Cranberries | ¾ cup Pistachio Nuts | 1½ cups Mini White MarshmallowsTake the pan off the heat. Add the cracker pieces, ¾ of the cranberries and all the nuts and marshmallows, mixing well to make sure everything is coated properly.
- Tip into the lined pan and smooth with a palate knife - it’s fine for it to look a bit lumpy and bumpy - its rocky road!
- Scatter over the remaining dried cranberries and press down slightly into the chocolate.
- Refrigerate until its completely set - at least 2 hours.
- Take out and cut into pieces with a sharp knife. I cut mine into slightly different shapes and sizes as it adds to the rocky road effect!
- Pile on to a plate and serve!
This post was shared with #cookblogshare, which this week was hosted by Melissa Traub