Pan fried chickpeas make an addictive and healthy snack in minutes. Crunchy and full of flavor, canned chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) are sautéed until crisp and golden in a spice blend of cumin, chili powder and black pepper.
These sautéed garbanzo beans are great to nibble on their own. They also make the perfect salad topper, adding crunch and texture to any dish. You can also use crispy chickpeas to garnish soups in place of croutons.
I love making my own homemade snacks. These crispy chickpeas don't contain any unnecessary additives or saturated fats, so are a genuinely healthy snack option too.
I've chosen to make pan fried chickpeas, but you can also make pan-roasted chickpeas and crispy air fryer chickpeas too. I explain the process for those methods later in the post.
- Why You'll Love This Pan Fried Chickpeas Recipe
- Pan Fried Chickpeas Ingredients
- How to Make Crispy Pan Fried Chickpeas - Step-By-Step
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Variations & Substitutions for Crispy Sauteed Chickpeas
- Tips & Tricks For Making Sauteed Garbanzo Beans
- Pin This Pan Fried Chickpeas Recipe For Later
- What Do You Think?!
- More Easy Under 30 Minute Recipe Ideas
- Printable Recipe
- Pan Fried Chickpeas
- Reader Comments & Ratings
Why You'll Love This Pan Fried Chickpeas Recipe
- These crispy pan fried garbanzo beans are a super healthy savory snack and a great alternative to chips and crisps.
- Making your own snacks means you know exactly what you are flavoring them with - no artificial additives or preservatives here.
- Sauteed garbanzo beans can be prepared, cooked and ready to enjoy in less than 20 minutes.
- This simple chickpea recipe is great as a snack. But leftovers make a great addition to salads and to garnish soups.
- Try some of my other great tasting and healthy snacks and appetizers:
Pan Fried Chickpeas Ingredients
Find the full list and quantities in the recipe below.
Chickpeas - You can use either cans of chickpeas for convenience, or dried chickpeas if you have time to soak and cook them first. I should mention that chickpeas are also known as garbanzo beans.
Oil - I've used olive oil, but avocado oil, coconut oil or any other light flavored oil would work here too.
Spices - I have flavored these crispy chickpeas with cumin, chili powder and black pepper. However, this is a versatile recipe so feel free to add the spices you like to eat, for example ground coriander and smoked paprika. Spice blends like garam masala, curry powder and Cajun seasoning would work here too.
How to Make Crispy Pan Fried Chickpeas - Step-By-Step
Find the full printable recipe below.
Drain and rinse canned chickpeas then use paper towels to remove as much excess liquid as possible. This will help them to crisp up.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or large frying pan then add the dried chickpeas to the hot pan.
Season well then sprinkle on the spices. Stir well so all the chickpeas are well coated.
Turn the heat down and cook until the chickpeas turn golden and crispy - around 12 minutes.
Remove the chickpeas from the pan, allow any excess oil to drain onto paper towels then move to a clean bowl.
Taste and season again with more sea salt and black pepper as needed then serve!
Frequently Asked Questions
Are crispy chickpeas good for you?
Chickpeas are high is protein and fat, and lower in carbs and calories, making these crispy chickpeas are a great healthy snack option.
Why are my chickpeas not crispy?
If the chickpeas are not crispy, they've not been cooked long enough. Once coated in the spices, I cook the chickpeas in the skillet for a good 12 minutes to crisp them up.
Why are my chickpeas chewy?
If your chickpeas are chewy it's a result of too much water. For this reason it is really important to properly dry the chickpeas before pan frying them.
Also they are best eaten at their crunchiest which is within an hour or two of being cooked. After that the chickpeas will start to soften and become a little chewy.
Can I roast chickpeas?
Yes, you can roast chickpeas in the oven. Once dried, toss in the spice seasoning and oil, lay the chickpeas onto a baking sheet and bake in a hot oven at 400F/200C for around 30 minutes until crispy and golden.
Can I make air fryer chickpeas?
Yes, again drain and dry the chickpeas before coating in the oil and spice blend. Heat the air fryer to 400F/200C and add the chickpeas, cooking them for 10-12 minutes.
Variations & Substitutions for Crispy Sauteed Chickpeas
Try adding in some chopped fresh herbs after cooking.
You can also add one or two peeled garlic cloves to the pan while you're cooking the chickpeas, for a subtle garlic flavor.
Tips & Tricks For Making Sauteed Garbanzo Beans
- Don't over crowd the pan when making these crispy chick peas - try to cook them in a single layer.
- Dry the chickpeas as well as you can before cooking them to remove as much excess moisture as possible. This helps with the crisping process.
- To protect your stove you may want to use a splatter guard when frying the chickpeas.
- Be patient - the crisping process can't be rushed. Once coated in the oil and spice blend, sauté the chickpeas for at least 12 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Remove the chickpeas from the skillet and place onto some kitchen paper with a slotted spoon, this will help soak away any excess oil and result in crispier chickpeas.
- Chickpeas really soak up flavor, so feel free to use any variety or blend of spices that you and your family enjoy eating.
How To Store Pan Fried Chickpeas
Store these crispy garbanzo beans in an airtight container at room temperature. I do prefer to enjoy these crispy chickpeas when newly cooked, but they will keep in an airtight container or sealed mason jar for a day or two.
Do not be tempted to store in the refrigerator or the chickpeas will soften and become chewy.
How To Serve Pan Fried Garbanzo Beans
As well as making a great snack, crispy garbazo beans can also be added to salads and used to garnish soups. Basically in any dish where you want to add a bit of crunch and texture.
Pin This Pan Fried Chickpeas Recipe For Later
What Do You Think?!
I'd love to know what you think about this recipe! I'd be so grateful if you scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a star rating and comment.
More Easy Under 30 Minute Recipe Ideas
Pan Fried Chickpeas
- 31 oz Canned Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans - drained well and rinsed
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil - or Avocado Oil
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder - optional
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- Line a sheet pan with paper towels and tip on the chickpeas. Use more paper towel to pat them dry - removing as much excess liquid as you can will help them crisp up!
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or heavy frying pan over a medium heat then add the dried chickpeas to the pan.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper then sprinkle on the spices. Stir well so all the chickpeas are well coated.
- Turn the heat down to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chickpeas turn golden and crispy - around 12 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon transfer the chickpeas to a paper towel lined bowl to get rid of any excess oil.
- Transfer to a fresh bowl, taste and season with more sea salt and black pepper as needed.
- Serve hot or cold!